Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 PM

Removing the oil pan - do I really have to raise the motor....

I need to remove the oil pan on my '97 f150 4x4 to replace the gasket and check out the bottom end of the motor. I'm confused because the Haynes book said I need to raise the motor and lower the front drive axle. However, after looking under the truck if I lower the front drive axle (after putting it on jacks) and remove the drive axle support bar between the frame I would have plenty room for removing the pan???

Is this possible or am I missing something? I need a brake job and alignment at the same time so this would fit into this project.....
Old 06-26-2007, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 1995 ford F150
you can also pull the engine out which I find easy. I have done them both ways but it seems better to me to just pull it out

Bruce
Old 06-27-2007, 12:33 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150
If its 4x4 why dont you just pull the front axle out??? Then you have wide open spaces to work, nad dont have to raise/pull the motor.....
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 AM

I appreciate the input....so you are saying that the engine really does not need to be hoisted if I remove the front drive axle. I would pull the engine but since it would not be feasable in my garage because the truck it too long. It seems to be better if I could drop the drive axle on my driveway with the truck jacked up.

Dan
Old 06-27-2007, 01:09 AM

Vehicle: 2008 ford 150
never done a f150 pan but... did my 4wd dakota and had to drop the front axle and raise the motor.only have to raise the motor a few inches. droppig the axle was more of the pain.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150
It's gonna be alot easier to just drop the axle out and work, beleive me, thats how i do em at work in the air, and its so much easier, something like 17-20 bolts/fasteners, and it will drop out... The axles will remain in the truck, just tie em back outa the way.... Just make sure to center the front diff on the floor jack good, and you will be fine... This would also be a good time to change the front diff fluid if it hasnt been done too.....
Old 06-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 2008 ford 150
it has the indy front suspension so... cv shafts should flex down enough to allow you to to get the pan out. make sure that differential is supported good. thats front end is heavy.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the input guys....it's very helpful....I'm going to try it tonight.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to GIJoeCam Send a message via Yahoo to GIJoeCam
I've been told (but never tried it myself) that you can loosen the bolts, drop the pan, and then remove the two bolts that hold the oil pickup on and let the pickup drop into the pan, then slide it right out without removing the front axle, or jacking the motor. Don't quote me on that. (I have a co-worker that works on Fords in his dad's shop on the side)

-Joe

98 Explorer bone-stock (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

Photo Gallery Here

I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot with some spare time.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM