V10 Swap

Old 06-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress Report

Well had to work all weekend but will get back to it tonight. For now the exhaust will use the stock y-pipe (appears to fit) with a 3" cat and exit infront of the rear wheel. Eventually i will change to headers and a better y pipe.

Not too concerned about the weight. It does not seem to be a large increase by my scale. If it is an issue i was planning on putting new torsen bars in from the heavier front end. My truck has the 2nd heavest setup already. I also plan to replace the rear springs at some point as they are preaty tired and the new trailer i am towing is preaty heavy on the tounge.

Thanks for reading. Hope to have close to starting or started by the end of the long weekend. fingers crossed.......

Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
i can't wait for the pics and I am jealous

Old 06-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Just to kick everyone's wet dreams into overdrive...... last year I looked over an F150 shortbox 2wd where not only had the guy put a V10 in it, it had a big single 88mm turbo hanging of it....

Wish I could remember the power numbers....

Old 06-26-2007, 01:06 PM
A 2wd would be SO MUCH EASIER. It would probly be done if it were 2x4. The extra drive shaft a transfercase added a fair bit more work to the job. It is comming along. The hand crafted wiring harness is now installed and semi tested. I say semi tested as the engine is still on the crane and not hooked up.

My tips for this so far......

Be VERY organized and knowledgeable with wiring diagrams and understand them. This was not a big deal for me as i deal with that type of thing on my job every day.

Dont plan on people who promise to help . I know they ment well but they have never @#$$% showed up. But on the plus side doing it my self will yeild me a better finish in the end. It will probly take a but longer though.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Progress Report

Well the engine and trans are in. The wiring is complete. Had to customize the motor mounts a little more. The intake has to come off to get it to slip in. Had to call a buddy at a dealer he will meet me there tomorrow to get my the new gaskets. So far its not too bad. The shift cable is not long enough on an f150 as luck would have it there was one in the boxes of stuff i got with the enging. The other thing i will need to order is a dip stick tube for the trans. The 4r100 from superduty has a very different tube. Should have the Tcase on and the trans crossmember done tomorrow. Hope to have the exhaust mocked up tomorrow aswell. Will try to take some pics and get them up.

Josh

Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 PM

Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Awsome! We need pix!

Old 06-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by camdenlake
Well the wiring is 90percent done. I have the engine harness done and the pcm pinout changes done. Quite easy with the correct tools. Hope to have it installed and tested in the next couple days. Then the engine install and driveline mods will continue. The one interesting thing i found with the pcm is the coil order is quite different. The coil pins need to be moved to match the v10 pcm. That was the biggest difference and of course adding the pins for the extra coils and injectors. Lots of solder and shrink tube . I have some of the stuff documented but not sure if it would apply unless you were doing a '99 to '04 engine swap.

Thanks for reading

Josh
So from what i read, it looks as though you are using the v8 harness and addded the coil wires? more info please. This is great

Old 06-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Why no pics?

Old 06-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Basically

Originally Posted by s1037s
So from what i read, it looks as though you are using the v8 harness and addded the coil wires? more info please. This is great

More or less. I bought what was to be a v10 harness from the bone yard but the ford dvds say different. Oh well. I used the boneyard harness for the pins for the various connectors. The other snag with harness is the engine plug location. I had to extend the harness and used shielded wire where needed. The addtions were 2 injectors and 2 coils. To save you all pain if you ever do it. The 2004 ford diagrams do not label the coils in the pcm pinout. They are different as the v10 has a differnet firing order. It took a mile of sealing shrink tube but it was not too bad. I have linked to the pcm and it seems happy. Will know soon but not as soon i hoped small tcase snag that i was afraid of from the start. It would appear i will need to install new torsen bars of a 7700 f150 or f250 ld. They are said to be 5" longer which i need some of that to clear the tcase. Figured this should have done the t-bar research before hand so i wouldnt get slowed down. Oh well.

The pics wouldnt be preatty yet no intake and not totally bolted down due to the t-bar issue. The dealer didnt get thier order i guess ford forgot to let them know they took friday off for the long weekend instead of monday.

Thanks
Josh

Old 06-30-2007, 10:38 PM
So that would mean that the ecm connector is the same shape on the v10 ecm. or did you use the wiring end off the ecm harness? Keep the info comin! first of its kind!

Old 07-01-2007, 07:56 AM
More info as requested .........

Yes the ecm is the same on any eccV ford car or truck. The pinout however changes. There is a kit from snapon i bought to removed the pins in all the plugs. Excellent investment as the connectors are fairly fragile. I have access to the dealer sm on dvd but they suck. I actually used the http://www.alldatadiy.com/ for connector pin outs as they are using scans of the book which seem to be more correct and complete. I used the ford manuals for definitions and locations. The diy site was a little lacking in ease and speed there. There are still a few unknows but nothing that cannot be done.

There are several things that if your truck had it would make this almost idiot proof. If you truck has a 4r100, if your truck was 2wd, or if it already has longer tosion bars (i assume though through my reasearch that the 4r100 truck must have the longer torsion bars as the trans is quite a bit longer)

Any one with a 7700 or 250 light duty and spring code 7 would be my new friend if they could crack out a measuing tape and measure the length of thier t-bars from control arm to tbar crossmember.

I have done engine swaps on other vechiles before but this is the first one designed to be a daily driver type unit. This truck has it pros and cons. The pros being newer so it has the "parts shelf" advantage and it has been very interesting how some things just fit because you can see the hey we got that on this truck let just use it here. The cons the 4wd. But i must say it wouldnt be as usefull with out 4wd.

Over all to this point i would give this enging swap a 6 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. A 10 would be the 440 mopar in a 85 ranger. That took some "modification".

I am going to try to take some pics today. I tried before but my usual digitial camera take way to high res pics so i am gonna try the cheapy the wife has.

Todays plans are to mock up stuff till i get the drive line bolted down. IE. the air intake, trans cooler ect....

Thanks
Josh

Old 07-01-2007, 08:58 AM
More info as requested .........

Yes the ecm is the same on any eccV ford car or truck. The pinout however changes. There is a kit from snapon i bought to removed the pins in all the plugs. Excellent investment as the connectors are fairly fragile. I have access to the dealer sm on dvd but they suck. I actually used the http://www.alldatadiy.com/ for connector pin outs as they are using scans of the book which seem to be more correct and complete. I used the ford manuals for definitions and locations. The diy site was a little lacking in ease and speed there. There are still a few unknows but nothing that cannot be done.

There are several things that if your truck had it would make this almost idiot proof. If you truck has a 4r100, if your truck was 2wd, or if it already has longer tosion bars (i assume though through my reasearch that the 4r100 truck must have the longer torsion bars as the trans is quite a bit longer)

Any one with a 7700 or 250 light duty and spring code 7 would be my new friend if they could crack out a measuing tape and measure the length of thier t-bars from control arm to tbar crossmember.

I have done engine swaps on other vechiles before but this is the first one designed to be a daily driver type unit. This truck has it pros and cons. The pros being newer so it has the "parts shelf" advantage and it has been very interesting how some things just fit because you can see the hey we got that on this truck let just use it here. The cons the 4wd. But i must say it wouldnt be as usefull with out 4wd.

Over all to this point i would give this enging swap a 6 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. A 10 would be the 440 mopar in a 85 ranger. That took some "modification".

I am going to try to take some pics today. I tried before but my usual digitial camera take way to high res pics so i am gonna try the cheapy the wife has.

Todays plans are to mock up stuff till i get the drive line bolted down. IE. the air intake, trans cooler ect....

Here are some pics. I forgot i had a domain i could publish them too. If you hold the mouse over one you get a description.

http://camdenlake.ca/PhotoAlbums/album_1183291875/

Thanks
Josh

Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Josh great pics, I can't wait to hear about you driving it for the first time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V10 Swap