2005 5.4 keeps stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by screwtech02
Pardon me for being a "Ford Tech", but i will have to dissagree with that statement.....

P0505 - Idle Air Control (IAC) System Malfunction

P0506 - Idle Air Control (IAC) System RPM Lower Than Expected

P0507 - Idle Air Control (IAC) System RPM Higher Than Expected

P0511 - Idle Air Control (IAC) Circuit Malfunction

Well, so much for their "not" being any codes to "condem" a IAC...

And as far as "looking" like a idiot..... Well........
OK good, then that goes right along with his check engine light coming on. I'm always right...how's it feel?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:44 AM
No pic needed guys, just look at the whole t-body.... On the drivers side is the IAC controller, it's serviced as a complete assembly from Ford... Dont think the aftermarket will have em for quite a while.... Whilst it will probably be in the $300 or more range, you WILL be money ahead taking it to a dealership to have it diagnosed, unless you have $$$$$ to just throw at your truck.....

Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM
last time

Last time I had it in to the dealer they took two days to tell me they didn't know why the light was on, but "come back tommorow, and we should have it sorted out". those are two days of lost fishing to me.
so far the gas filter being replaced seems to have done the trick, however if the light comes back on I will let another dealer " sort it out".
thanks again for all your responses

Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Exactly..when was the last time you really had a pleasant experience at the dealer ?!? Half them time when you have a rare problem with your vehicle they are far from being a savior or a wealth of knowledge to help fix it but are more than happy to charge you that high hourly rate, maybe some highly overpriced parts and whatever other bs environmental and shop charges they can throw on there.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For the idiot

I thought I saw this on here a while ago... as usual, Q comes through, and Bluegrass offers sage advice

Originally Posted by Quintin
There is no IAC on a 2004 and newer F150, idle speed is controlled by the stepper motor on the throttle body - drive by wire now, remember? It'll still set a code showing IAC for gross errors in idle speed, but there is no idle air control...unless your truck is a V6, I guess, I think the 6 cylinders still have cable throttles.
You likely will need to have the Stealer R&R the TB assembly - along with a flash of the PCM to the latest calibration.

BTW - you won't find an EGR valve on there either - have some fun and ask the AutoPuke parts guys try and source one. Or just ask the idiot. LOL!

Good luck.

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 08-17-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone considered cleaning it. I know on other cars cleaning the IACv solves the problem. Use CRC intake manifold cleaner. Take it out and spray it down and see what happens....Cheap fix if it works...

Old 09-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Some 2004-2006 F-150 (excludes Heritage) vehicles equipped with 4.6L or 5.4L engine, and 2006 Mark LT vehicles, may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: drive-away hesitation, loss of RPM on deceleration, difficulty starting, and/or idle RPM less than desired. Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0506 and/or P0505. These conditions may appear after battery disconnect, dead battery condition, or keep alive memory (KAM) reset. The symptoms may be due to engine deposits in the throttle leading to airflow less than desired.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 53.9 and higher or 54.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. The calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy for the throttle body.
Turn the key off to re-initialize the PCM. This will allow the sludge compensation strategy to learn.
With the vehicle in park or neutral and A/C off, start vehicle and allow engine to reach normal operating temperature (greater than 170 °F (77 °C) coolant temperature). Run an additional 5 minutes to allow sufficient learning time.
While the engine is running, using IDS datalogger or equivalent, check the PID value of ETC_TRIM.
If ETC_TRIM value is 3.0 degrees or greater then replace the electronic throttle body (ETB), following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04B.
If ETC_TRIM value is less than 3.0 degrees, and driveability concerns persist, the ETB is not the likely cause of the concern and replacement is not necessary. Continue with normal PC/ED diagnostics.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by fiveinthelive
Hey guys, my truck keeps stalling out when I am at stop lights, I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep er running.
it just started today, at first the engine light was not on but it is now.
any help would be great
Tony
How many miles on the truck? My first thought is the Idle Air Control Valve. In my experiences, the IAC doesn't go out till > 80K miles.

I use the code reader on my laptop from obd-2.com. It gives you the standard and enhanced codes without the need to go to the dealership. And it's cheap.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
I've been reading/hearing alot of talk about IAC's lately causing bad idle. But what does the IAC look like on a new 5.4 with electronic idle control??? Does anyone have a pic from one of the new motors??
napaonline.com has good pics of what the IAC looks like. Looks like a silver film canister with ears on it. Located somewhere on the top of the intake manifold.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by lenore
Has anyone considered cleaning it. I know on other cars cleaning the IACv solves the problem. Use CRC intake manifold cleaner. Take it out and spray it down and see what happens....Cheap fix if it works...
You can definately try cleaning it with brake parts cleaner. I've known some people who that works for. But not for me.......if you know better, the shortcut never works. If you don't know better, it works everytime.

Just last week, a buddy told me that his Escape was dying at stoplights etc......I told him to clean the IAC and of course it worked! If I did it, no way would it have worked.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Slaterock
Some 2004-2006 F-150 (excludes Heritage) vehicles equipped with 4.6L or 5.4L engine, and 2006 Mark LT vehicles, may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: drive-away hesitation, loss of RPM on deceleration, difficulty starting, and/or idle RPM less than desired. Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0506 and/or P0505. These conditions may appear after battery disconnect, dead battery condition, or keep alive memory (KAM) reset. The symptoms may be due to engine deposits in the throttle leading to airflow less than desired.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 53.9 and higher or 54.1 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. The calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy for the throttle body.
Turn the key off to re-initialize the PCM. This will allow the sludge compensation strategy to learn.
With the vehicle in park or neutral and A/C off, start vehicle and allow engine to reach normal operating temperature (greater than 170 °F (77 °C) coolant temperature). Run an additional 5 minutes to allow sufficient learning time.
While the engine is running, using IDS datalogger or equivalent, check the PID value of ETC_TRIM.
If ETC_TRIM value is 3.0 degrees or greater then replace the electronic throttle body (ETB), following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04B.
If ETC_TRIM value is less than 3.0 degrees, and driveability concerns persist, the ETB is not the likely cause of the concern and replacement is not necessary. Continue with normal PC/ED diagnostics.

WOW, this tells me 'Buy the extended warranty'. Mine is covered to 100K miles.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:47 AM
the 04+ does not have an IAC...the minimum air setting is controlled by the TB itself.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Slaterock shows that this is not a simple system and needs understanding of the need to diagnos properly or have just plain luck fixing it.
Many of you are just guessing what the equippage is and just throwing out answers that are NA.
If you want to know what goes on with the system, go to the Motorcraft site and down load the model year overview and learn.
There you will find out there are several microprocessors involved in the TB control with fail safe sub programs and hardware not found on pre electronic control systems.
The number of issues that can now become faults are multiplied many times, over the simpleness of the old systems.
Somtimes you can even cause a new issue and become quite confused.
And btw , dealer mechanics are 'often', not always, not good at doing this or are prevented from doing it in the interest of getting the vehichles out the door and then worry about returns for the same complaint later because that's the way the dealer owner want's to run the shop. It's not that it can't be done but often not being allowed due to maximizing shop profits part of the biz..
73 KM3F

Old 09-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Slaterock shows that this is not a simple system and needs understanding of the need to diagnos properly or have just plain luck fixing it.
Many of you are just guessing what the equippage is and just throwing out answers that are NA.
If you want to know what goes on with the system, go to the Motorcraft site and down load the model year overview and learn.
Bluegrass, I went to motorcraft.com and did some looking around. Where can I download the model year overview information? Couldn't find it.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Go to this address www.motorcraft.com/default.jsp.
There you will click on tech resources.
Go to the OBDII model year and motor you have.
It will be more than 100 pages but then you have all the info you can use to understand most of the operations that go on.
You may have to read the sections over 3 or more times to get an understanding but that is the best you can do as an owner to get a understanding about how the specific operation works

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4 keeps stalling