another rough idle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another rough idle...

ok here goes, I have replaced all 8 plugs and one COP that was bad. I replaced the IAC because it was broken, and the EGR valve b/c the guy at the auto parts place gave me a hell of a deal. I also cleaned the MAF. When I did all this things were better for a bit but now it feels like a skip on idle but not a misfire. I can smell a little fuel as I drive and the throttle response is lousy. If I get the gas pedal in just the right place it comes out of its sluggishness but its very picky, and to top it off, now when I go up a hill and give it some gas it studders unless I step on it and it down shifts and comes out of it. I've tried to get it to throw a code but all I ever got was a misfire code and that went away when I replaced #COP. Sorry for the rambling any idea would be great.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What are you driven? What where all the codes - exactly the first time ? What COP was it ? Did you get anti freeze on any thing - or did it get wet ?

Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Sorry was all in a rush and completely forgot to write what i was driving. I have an 01 screw with 5.4 4x4 I threw the code for cylinder 3 misfire and that is the COP i replaced along with every plug. I did have a little leakage on #8 but wasn't much and when I pulled out the old plug it was completely dry.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Ttt

Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back -

I went threw this myself and have seen determined friends try to figure out the COP puzzle - Your hair will start to grow back in two weeks

At this point the best thing you can do for your 5.4L is to purchase a set of 8 COP's from Kevin at his Ebay Store - "Global Automotive"

He has sold COP's to many people on this site with most having great success.

At the dealership , you would pay close to $700 for a set of 8 COP's.

Kevin sells a set of 8 COP's for $96 with a warranty

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...mZ160094421008

Remember , don't replace just a few , you'll have probs again in the near future. For best results - allot yourself three hours to change them and change all 8 at the same time before reconnecting the battery .

These motors are picky as Hell - I hope your using the OEM Motorcraft plugs ???? If not , theres a good chance new COP's aren't going to help..

Good Luck

Last edited by jbrew; 04-07-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Thats quite a price, looks almost too good to be true I'll have to try it.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:48 AM

If you want to test A COP yourself - under load. You with a friends help can do this relatively easily - you don't need a Check Engine Light and Code to Pin -Point a bad COP .

Clamp a probe to the side of any COP , Run wires thru firewall to DIGITAL multi meter. Have friend start the drive cycle, end each one at about 65mph.

Record Data yourself from multi meter. Compare each cylinder.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:30 PM
I actually had the same problem and ordered the COPs from Global Automotive. It really a great deal. I installed all 8 of them but I used Champion double platinums ( cheap but they work). Anyway, good deal for the set of COPs and I noticed a big improvement on performance.

Quick Reply: another rough idle...