EGR Flow Excessive...Tried everything!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Flow Excessive...Tried everything!

I Keep getting this cel popping up, egr flow excessive, I remove the battery terminal and the cel goes away...does this clear the code from my computer? Neways Iv tried replacing my evr, DPFE, if blew thru all the lines, cleaned the lines, cleaned the egr, and have no vacuum leaks. What else can it be? Or do I need the cel to be cleared by a scanner? Thanks

Old 03-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes usually does it.
You may have problems elsewhere causing the problems.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:13 AM
What is your exact code?

P0402 indicates that the DPFE sensor detects excessive exhaust flow during the "high flow" check. During this check, the computer commands the EGR valve to close, and then it measures the flow via the DPFE sensor. If it detects flow, then it sets the code.

Causes of this problem are usually related to bad/stuck EGR valves, or trash in the valve seat. Try disconnecting the vacuum hose that is connected to the EGR valve, and attaching a piece of hose that you can suck on. Crank the engine, and after the ilde settles, suck on the hose. Listen for any changes in engine sound. If the engine doesn't change, then the EGR valve isn't working properly.

I'm not exactly sure, but a rusted out EGR hose after the DPFE sensor hoses, or a loose connection between the EGR valve and the hose itself might cause this code. The computer performs several tests on the EGR system, and I don't know the exact order of progression the computer follows in testing the system. A rusted out hose might get caught in another test first, but it won't hurt to check it anyway.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by blkdoutf150
I Keep getting this cel popping up, egr flow excessive, I remove the battery terminal and the cel goes away...does this clear the code from my computer? Neways Iv tried replacing my evr, DPFE, if blew thru all the lines, cleaned the lines, cleaned the egr, and have no vacuum leaks. What else can it be? Or do I need the cel to be cleared by a scanner? Thanks
You have not tried everything amigo. Check everything that Chester said.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Ok I cleaned the hoses, exhaust yube, and egr. Erased the code and it went like 2 days then CEL popped up again this time showing.

P0401 EGR Insuffencient

and

P0402 EGR Excessive

what could this be? Thanks

Old 04-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
chester gave the 402 flow discription pretty well.
To review a little; the 402 routine is done at start-up and drive away when the exhaust pressure is higher under acceleration. This is done with a closed EGR so the DPFE can see the 'same ' pressure on both it's ports at the same time. If the pressure is low there is a leak in the plumbing at some point.
The 401 routine is a test of flow rates after the EGR is commanded to open a certain amount. The flow is then measured accross a restriction in the pipe and the DPFE has to see two different pressures at it's ports and be within limits.
These two test failures would possibly indicate that the main tube off the manifold may be rusted thru or cracked as it is common to both tests, the rubber hoses are leaking, on on backwards, the DPFE is faulty or there is an electrical connection problem to the DPFE.
Take a new look at things with this in mind. The system is not forgiving of any faults by design.
Good luck.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Make sure you put the DPFE in Correctly, Not reversed, Hi to Hi, Ref to Ref... I have tried that once and it gave me both codes before.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p0401
Its a freakin ford conspiracy I am sure.
P0401 - insufficient flow detected...........
Here is what I have replaced
DPFE sensor
EGR Valve
EGR Vacuum Regulator
Cleaned Old MAF Sensor w/ MAF cleaner
Got new MAF Sensor
All new O2 sensors
The little Elbow on the back of the intake manifold behind the throttle body was melted through. Replaced
Cleaned intake ports under throttle body
No intake manifold leak detected
Fuel pressure 32-35 psi
New plugs
Fuel Filter

2000 F-150 4.6L Windsor
hypertech 93 octane program
k&n filter

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Ok, while idleing, I attatched a hose to the egr and sucked on it the idle went way down, and when i released the idle jumped back up again. I put my finger over the vacuum line going to it and it has a small amount of vacuum, even at idle, is this correct? The tube and hoses look fine maybe ill try spraying some starting fluid around and check for vacuum leaks, thanks.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Under ideal conditions there is no vacuum at the port toward the EGR when the EVR is unoperated.
However, sometimes the EVR will leak a small amount, stick partially open etc, but the port is essentially open to air when at rest (unoperated). This is normal because once the EGR is vacuum operated it has to be 'vented' to air for it's release.
Check the EVR filter for being dirty. It's under the round cap. Use a couple small screw drivers to get the cap clips over there holding areas.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Under ideal conditions there is no vacuum at the port toward the EGR when the EVR is unoperated.
However, sometimes the EVR will leak a small amount, stick partially open etc, but the port is essentially open to air when at rest (unoperated). This is normal because once the EGR is vacuum operated it has to be 'vented' to air for it's release.
Check the EVR filter for being dirty. It's under the round cap. Use a couple small screw drivers to get the cap clips over there holding areas.
Yeah, that's what mine does and it makes a humming noise when releasing said air.
I shut the motor down- vacuum stops and the EGR valve closes. The air then releases thru the EVR and generates a humming noise while doing so.
I have taken the EVR apart and cleaned it but it still generates a noise while expelling trapped air after shut down.
My guess is that somethings not quite right with the EVR but it's not hurting anything and really doesn't need to be replaced.

First time I heard this explained right as Bluegrass has

Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
The EVR is brand new one week old

Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
My guess is that its your DPFE .. I know you replaced it but theres been problems with the replacements . Ford updated the DPFE's recently but as it stands you could only get the updated DPFE's from the dealerships and not any other resellers .. That really sucks because you'll have to pay there price.

Some update info -

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80

Wells info -

http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com/pdf/counterp_v9_i2_2005.pdf

Heres a TSB you might be interested in -

Emissions - Intermittent Rough Idle Condition
TSB 05-4-17

03/07/05

INTERMITTENT ROUGH IDLE - NON-COMMANDED
EGR FLOW
FORD:
1997-1999 F-250 LD
1997-2004 F-150
1997-2005 E-Series
1998-2004 Expedition
1999-2004 F-Super Duty
2000-2005 Excursion
LINCOLN:
1998-1999 Navigator
ISSUE
Some 1997-2005 5.4L 2V vehicles may exhibit an intermittent rough idle. This may be due to non-commanded EGR flow.
ACTION
EGR flow can be detected by comparing the stabilized DPFEGR KOER voltage (from NGS/WDS) at idle after manually opening and closing the EGR valve through 8 cycles. Record the DPFEGR voltage after each cycle. If the DPFEGR voltage increases by 0.03V or more from the stabilized idle voltage and is associated with a rough idle, the valve should be replaced. Refer to the following Service Procedure.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Connect NGS/WDS and monitor DPFEGR PID.
2. Record initial stabilized DPFEGR voltage.
3. Disconnect the EGR valve vacuum line and connect hand held vacuum pump.
4. Raise RPM to prevent stalling and fully open the EGR valve.
5. Fully close valve and return to idle.
6. Record stabilized DPFEGR voltage.
7. Repeat Steps 4-6, eight (8) times.
8. If voltage increases by 0.03V or more with an associated rough idle condition during any of the cycles, the EGR valve may be sticking. Lightly tap the EGR valve casting and observe if voltage returns to initial DPFEGR value.
a. If the DPFEGR voltage returns to the initial value and the associated rough idle is gone replace the EGR valve.
b. If there is no change in DPFEGR voltage do not replace the EGR valve and perform normal diagnostics.
9. If the EGR valve is replaced repeat Steps 3-6, two (2) times to verify fix.

Last edited by jbrew; 04-09-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Unless your up against inspection, the motor will run ok with this emissions only fault until you find one.
There are Ford dealers that will sell them for about $35 + shipping.
I got one from a dealer in CONN., for that price.

Just be sure of the following.
With the DPFE removed off the pipes and engine idleing, carefully feel with your finger that there is a difference of exhaust pressure between the lower and the upper connected pipe, that the EGR is not stuck and operates, that the metal tube from the exhaust manifold is not rusted thru or broken and the EVR valve has no problems.
If nothing found then the DPFE has to be the last item and is hard to test positive for a problem with it's operation unless you have tools and a chart of voltages.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Unless your up against inspection, the motor will run ok with this emissions only fault until you find one.
There are Ford dealers that will sell them for about $35 + shipping.
I got one from a dealer in CONN., for that price.

Just be sure of the following.
With the DPFE removed off the pipes and engine idleing, carefully feel with your finger that there is a difference of exhaust pressure between the lower and the upper connected pipe, that the EGR is not stuck and operates, that the metal tube from the exhaust manifold is not rusted thru or broken and the EVR valve has no problems.
If nothing found then the DPFE has to be the last item and is hard to test positive for a problem with it's operation unless you have tools and a chart of voltages.

Ok, let me try a couple more things and ill get back to ya, thanks.

Quick Reply: EGR Flow Excessive...Tried everything!