engine losing power

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine losing power

i'm new to the forum and looking for help. i have a 2004 5.4 and occasionally when i come to a stop, the engine will die. it starts right back up with no problem. the only time this happens is when the engine is warm and i come to a stop. when it happens, it may happen 2 or 3 times in a row (stops in a row).
i have put chevron injector cleaner one time before last oil change. any ideas???

Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do a search on "IAC" [idle air controller].

Old 03-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skip the injector cleaner.. use quality top tier fuel. I do believe if you clean your throttle body it will fix your problem. Over time oil gunk will mess up the throttle body and cause idle problems. Nice easy fix that is almost free! my father was a service rep and that fixed most of the idle problems.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
You have a complex electronic controlled throttle system (no direct throttle cable) that needs to be fully tested out.
I don't think you will find an IAC on these engines.
At most there may be carbon sludge behind the throttle plate.
Taking the throttle body apart involves a drive motor, spring and some other parts.
Be carefull to put it all back the way it came apart because you have no 'direct' controll over it's operation.
It's all software controlled by the PCM with safety programing involved so you don't get into a run away condition you can't control.
I would have it scanned for pending codes that may point to something.
The scanner needs to be the new C.A.N. reading type.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: engine losing power