What Motor Do I Have?

Old 03-26-2007, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Motor Do I Have?

Just to get some feedback. I had to order a PCV hose from the dealer the other day due to the elbow behind the throttle body deteriorating. When I was there, I gave the gentleman the VIN of the truck and he proceeded to show me three options of hoses that were listed for that VIN. None of the hoses looked quite like I remembered, but I took the one that looked the closest. I did tell him that I was almost positive that my PCV Valve was the screw in type, and not the push in like he was showing me. After getting home to find out that I bought the wrong hose, I pulled the one off the motor and took it back to the dealership. Luckily it still had the part number sticker on the original hose, and he was able to match it up. But the wild thing is that the hose that was on the motor was showing that it was for the Romeo 4.6L, and my VIN as well as my drivers side valve cover both support the motor to be a Windsor 4.6L? Does this sound right? I mean I bought the truck used, and someone could have possibly changed out the complete motor, but I find that strange. Is there a way to know absolutely what engine is in the truck, like by a block casting number or something? And by the way, the truck seems to be a dog in the acceleration department. I have never had a truck that was such a dog coming out of the hole. My Tahoe could run circles around my Screw. I like my truck as a "Vehicle" but not as a truck. I am trying my best to help it out. I have a home modded Air Box w/ K&N filter, and I just replaced the plugs with fresh Motorcrafts, I use K&N Oil Filters with Motorcraft 5W-20W Synthetic Blend oil, and I just purchased the X-Cal II from Troyer Performance, but haven't installed it yet. I want to change my fuel filter and have the tranny flushed first. Anyhow, back to the original thought........any comments

Thanks,

Duane

Old 03-26-2007, 11:50 AM
TNC
I had a repair manual when I had a '97 4.6L. It told you how to determine from the VIN which engine it was. Not a good comparison, BTW of the Tahoe vs. your SCrew. They probably weigh about the same, but the Tahoe probably had a 350 vs. your ~289. If you had the 5.4, it'd probably be much different.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Yea, the Tahoe has the 5.3L which is the 327 cu in I believe. Yea, I just wonder why ford put a 230ish hp motor in a big truck like that? It doesn't even spin the tires? I know it wasn't meant to be a sport truck off the lot, but geez. I am hoping I can get a little screech out of the take off when I install the X-Cal II tunes. We'll see......

Old 03-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Your gearing has a lot to do with that, also. 3:55 are a good all 'round cruising gear, but if you want to tow, or pull hole shots, look into 3:73 or 4:10.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:39 PM
TNC
5.3 is about a 327. We had a Yukon and it had the 5.7 (350). You're right, the 4.6 shouldn't be in that truck. In thinking about it, there might have been a W somewhere on the VIN that denoted Windsor. Sorry, I really can't remember.

Last edited by TNC; 03-26-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TNC
5.3 is about a 327. We had a Yukon and it had the 5.7 (350). You're right, the 4.6 shouldn't be in that truck. In thinking about it, there might have been a W somewhere on the VIN that denoted Windsor. Sorry, I really can't remember.

yeah ok.. my father bought a new '97 scab with a 4.6 and pulled a 25 ft fifth wheel. He never had a problem with towing ability. It is a truck.. not a race car. There is a difference

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Motor Do I Have?