Guys with Cam Phaser knock/tick

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys with Cam Phaser knock/tick

I think I have narrowed my ticking and clanking down to the cam phasers becuase only does it when its warm. But Ive noticed at a drive thru if i barely tap the gas and let off the engine makes a loud clanking like noise. Im just wondering if this is normal along with loud cam phasers. I am out of factory warranty but I have a limited powertrain warranty. Do I need to have this looked at? And do you guys think they would cover it?

Old 03-24-2007, 04:07 AM
I had both mine replaced and their doing it again........ i'm done...... i miss my quiet 4.6

Old 03-24-2007, 10:35 AM
TNC
The clunk is likely the driveline. There's a TSB out on it for the output shaft and using a special grease on the splines ( might be your issue). The phasers aren't the end of the world.

QUOTE:
I had both mine replaced and their doing it again........ i'm done...... i miss my quiet 4.6

Yeah, the 4.6 was quiet, but I doubt you'd truly want the 4.6 in the newer truck, especially the SC 4X4.

Last edited by TNC; 03-24-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Its coming form the engine you can clearly tell. And its not a clunk its a clank. Guys thats have the cam phaser tick let me know the next time you are in a drive thru what it does.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:56 PM
TNC
Clank, clunk, whatever you want to call it. Look for something loose on the exterior. I have the phaser problem, it's not clanking or clunking and that's not mentioned on any TSB for the phaser. Let's just hope it doesn't progress to a clink or clang, those can be devastating as well as expensive. I was actually giving you a real answer. Sorry for that, won't happen again. So this only happens in a drive through?

Maybe just go inside next time.

Last edited by TNC; 03-24-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:49 PM
I have a 2004 F150 Lariat Supercrew (4x4) with the 5.4 Liter V8. Currently I have about 57,000 miles on the 2004 and it seems to me to sound more like a diesel everyday. My 5.4L has had the ticking cam sound and has now started to develop a clanking sound which is most noticeable when you initally give the engine a little gas. To me the sound is similar to an engine running extremely low on oil so much so that you can begin to here the oil deprived mains. I know this cant be the actual cause of the noise becuase the oil is at the correct level and clean? The oil is extemely thin (5W-20) but it is the required weight. Does anyone have any insight into the noise?

Old 03-25-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford techs will tell you it's normal.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 PM
engine clank continued

Well my clank has persisted but now I know exactly how to reproduce it. The noise is basically most apparent with a warm engine and a steady RPM range just above idle RPM. I was able to reproduce it 3 times in-a-row tonight. It sounds pretty horrible to tell you the truth. My neighbor even came out and said, "Man, I think you need to put some oil in that thing!". At least now I can drive to the dealer and repeat it for them so they can hear it. Repeatability of problem such as this is all well and good. However, with what I am paying in a vehicle payment, maintenance, and gas for the truck, and vehicle insurance I better not here anything other than a smooth running engine. Especially considering the fact that I dont treat the engine bad. If the ford tech at the dealer tells me its normal he'll be removing my size 12 from an uncomfortable place and the salesman is going to have another truck back on his lot.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Well, I see it has been 4 years since the last post on this, but I'm hoping someone will read.

I just bought an 05 F150 super crew 4x4. Once in a while at a cold start the engine will tick/knock for about 1/2 second and then get quiet. Acts like a slow lifter. But once it's hot it gets that ticking sound at idle, sounds like a diesel, as described on here. That sound is noticeable from both valve covers, and it sounds even on both sides. Sounds kinda like the valve lash isn't quite right. The truck idles at about 600 rpm. Rev it up to 800 rpm and it's a loud chattering, sounds bad. Rev up to 1000 rpm and above and the noise is gone. I have an extended warranty with the truck and right now it's in the shop getting the rear-end rebuilt for the whining issue during acceleration/deceleration due to the pinion pre-load not being set correctly. I'd like to know if I need to worry about getting this repaired before the warranty runs out, or if it is normal. Surely someone has figured it out by now. bsquires? anyone?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Why do you bring up a 4 year old thread *AND* start another thread?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Why do you bring up a 4 year old thread *AND* start another thread?
I just joined the forum. just trying to get some help. sorry to have inconvenienced you so much that you had to read my post twice.

Quick Reply: Guys with Cam Phaser knock/tick