engine noise got me worried

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine noise got me worried

ok bought 1997 f-150 2 weeks ago,truck super clean,looks to been well taken care of.heres what's going on,start engine after sitting for a few hours 5-6 hours,loud ticking from lifters i believe also sounds like it's knocking on side toward oil filter.sounds bad,knocking is in time with lifter noise . could it be the lifters i'm hearing magrating down side of engine.the guy i bought the truck from was running 15w 40 rotella and lusas oil additive to engine probably to quiet noise.i changed to 5w 30 got much worse.noise quiets in about 60 to 90 seconds. engine has 160000 miles.sounds great after noise quiets.should i get rid of truck or go back to old oil being used and not worry.like i said ticking and knocking quiets truck runs and drives great. would like to fix problem. also if you had a worn out wrist pin how would you know also engine is a 4.6 liter noise on driver side on motor

Last edited by m1kessler; 03-21-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If its a 4.2 V6 I would say its a rod knocking. If its a 4.6 V8 I guess oil delivery problem- blocked passage in head.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:37 PM
it depends on how loud it really is.

when it is very cold outside these engines tend to be a little loud for a bit. it also sounds like you are getting a little piston slap.

15-40?!?! keep running the 5-30 and it will prolly quite down a bit after the 2nd change.

also check the pcv as it can be loud. I have also read on this board about a deflector plate below either the pcv opening or the filler neck opening that can come loose and rattle quite a bit.

there is yet another ticking noise possibility; passenger side exhaust manifold near the rear of the engine a manifold stud or 2 can break off and it is quite loud until she warms up. if it isn't real bad you can run it like this forever.

oh and this is an OHC engine = no lifters.

there are a lot of people a lot smarter than me here on these boards I sure someone will hit the nail on the head!

keep the truck!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by torkum
If its a 4.2 V6 I would say its a rod knocking. If its a 4.6 V8 I guess oil delivery problem- blocked passage in head.

torkum, if it is a blocked passage in the head what does this mean?? I'm having the same exact problem. Knocking on the driver side, sounds like it could be a rod, then it quits after a few minutes..... Thanks again. I'm lovin this forum.

Quick Reply: engine noise got me worried