Q's about fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q's about fuel injectors

I've been dealing with a wierd O2 sensor problem - reporting a "rich" (high voltage) mixture, being lazy etc. I've replaced both O2's, swapped old for new etc. and I get the same reading (datalogging using the Xcal2).

Now I'm wondering if one or more injectors are leaking or something. I've datalogged fuel trims (short and long) and they all look the same, for the good and bad O2's. Hmmmm.

First question then is, how would I determine if an injector is in fact leaking? What would be the symptoms and observations?

Second question is, if I did find that it is an injector, how do I replace them? How does the fuel rail come off, and how do the injectors come out?

Ok Ok, so they were 2 multi-part questions But you get the idea.

any tutorials, pics or anything that could enlighten me?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I would recommend cleaning your MAF sensor.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I do/have done that. All the basic things I can do, I've done (I think). I'm kinda wondering why only one side of the engine seems to be seeing a strange fueld/air mix? I would think that factors which affect the entire engine should throw both sides off, yes?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Hmm, could be high fuel rail pressure, or possibly a loose spark plug, maybe a weak coil/bad plug. (not likely) Can you give me the exact codes?

If all else fails, you can unhook your battery for a while, to reset the fuel trims, and see if the code comes back.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I would try cleaning the MAF again - take the MAF cover off held on by those two little screws, you might have some stubburn foreign matter stuck on it.
Use Brake cleaner or something with pressure behind it..Then reboot the PCM.

Rich readings if I'm not mistakin means you have raw fuel squeaking by your O2 sensor , that usually happens with a misfiring cylinder. Weak coil, partially fouled plug, bad boot..

Old 03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
thanks fellers but.... there are no codes (according to Xcal2 scans), and with the AF1 intake, its very easy to get to the MAF, clean it etc. I've been dealing with this mystery since last October or so when I did my first datalog and noticed the weird O2 reading on Bank 2 upstream. I have cleaned the MAF 2-3 times (over time, the most recent about 2 months ago or so; I've read not to clean it too much but I'm not sure why? using electic parts MAF cleaner - they have a can of stuff for every little thing these days).

Seems to be something on just the driver's side of the engine which is why I was suspecting some extra fuel getting into one or more cylinders somehow.

I've datalogged numerous times while switching the O2's around and so, the PCM has been reset a bunch - no change to fuel trims (they all look ok I think).

So, back to my original question - how would I find a leaky injector, would it be leaking INTO the cylinder? and how does one remove/replace an injector should one find it to be not working correctly?

Just wanna know, not planning on running out and buying a new one. Just weeding out the possibilities.

Thanks for all your input

Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Gentlemen...

re-read your posts... I see what you are saying about plugs - if one is not firing properly, then "excess fuel" is being sent down the pipe hence the imbalance inthe O2 readings.

Hmmm. Add another variable Oye!

Old 03-19-2007, 08:29 PM
ur best bet is take it to ford dealership and do a computer test . in which they pressurize the injectors to 33psi and if any of them drop pressure over the period of 5 min. then replace it. if not then u need alot of specialty tools to manually do it.. if not pull allthe injectors and take them in to an injectors shop have em all tested.

or all else fails have them flushed via canister filled with chemtool attached to the fuel rail added pressure usually 65psi. to flush them. u might have one thats stuck open.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:00 PM

Something like what KDOT did - except you would hook up to the fuel rail instead.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 AM
nice how did u make that?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 AM
More importantly...

What does it do?

Reminds me of some things I saw in college dorm rooms

Old 03-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by waterman308
What does it do?

Reminds me of some things I saw in college dorm rooms
presurized canister with cleaning solution in it just hook it to the injector rail and turn fuel pump off then start truck wait for it to run allthe cleaner out

Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Faster150
nice how did u make that?
That's KDOT's Fast , he borrowed that from a friend - not mine, but it doesn't look hard to make - I have everything to do it except for the canister itself..

Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Rich readings if I'm not mistakin means you have raw fuel squeaking by your O2 sensor , that usually happens with a misfiring cylinder. Weak coil, partially fouled plug, bad boot..
Nope. Ignition related missfires always cause lean codes.

An O2 sensor doesn't see unburned fuel, it sees unburned oxygen. Hence the lean code.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by jumpinjax99
Nope. Ignition related missfires always cause lean codes.

An O2 sensor doesn't see unburned fuel, it sees unburned oxygen. Hence the lean code.

That's right, It's a lean conditition when raw fuel is squeeking by the O2's - The O2's won't see raw fuel - true that, but that's what's going on in a lean condition when a coil goes south. I had lean and rich turned around - My Bad

Quick Reply: Q's about fuel injectors