Coolant smell in cab???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant smell in cab???

Hi guys....I'm having a little problem here. When I turn on my heater, deafroster, or vent, I smell coolant coming from the vents. I can't seem to find a coolant leak anywhere though. I'm sure that there is a leak somewhere though, because the smell is pretty strong and unmistakable. Do any of you know what might be causing this? Truck is a 1990 F250 with a 351 auto.

Thanks for the help,
Hunter

Old 03-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most likely is your heater core leaking. You don't see a leak because the heater box has a drain in it. Should be an easy fix for you.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM
You probably have a cracked heater core. I had the same problem in my 89 bronco a few years back. I'm not sure how you could trouble shoot this yourself unless you know a lot about your truck's HVAC system, but most mechanics will charge you 400-500 bucks to replace it if it is indeed cracked.

That smell drove me nuts, it's like this sickly sweet ick smell, and it fogged my windows up too anytime I turned the blower on.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I kinda thought that it might be heater core related, but I don't know anything about heater cores. I'll dig through my Haynes manual and see if this looks like a job I can handle myself. Will I have to just replace the whole heater core?

Thanks again,
Hunter

Old 03-15-2007, 07:44 PM
If I remember correctly, the core is one sealed unit. If the core is cracked, then yeah you will probably have to replace the whole thing, but it might just be a loose hose or cracked fitting. I'd climb under the dash and just follow all the connections and hoses with a flashlight and see what you see.

If you can't find anything obvious, then like mine was, it's probably something you can't correct without replacing the entire core. If you do go the diy route, just don't forget to drain and purge the coolant, or you'll have one big mess on your hands :-p

Old 03-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks Johnny, I'll try to keep you guys posted on how it goes...hopefully I don't have to take off the whole danged dashboard.

Hunter

Last edited by ksubigbuck; 03-15-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Coolant smell in cab???