Problem: Dipstick is dry

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem: Dipstick is dry

New guy to the forums. I have run a few different searches to see if a similar problem has been discussed before but I didn't find anything. I appreciate any help that you all are able to offer

Background: '95 F-150 XLT, 4x4, 302, 5-speed, 95,000 miles.

Just did an oil change this afternoon. After adding 5 quarts, I started it up and checked the dipstick. It looked to be about a half quart low. So I added a splash more and tried to check again. The dipstick wouldn't go in the last 3 inches or so until I finally contorted it the right way and it slid in. Pulled it back out and... it's blank, dry, as though I never put it in. Tried a few more times and even added another half quart, still nothing.

When running the engine, I have plenty of oil pressure, and no leaks so I know there is oil somewhere inside the engine. The engine sounds well lubed too. Also, I looked at the base of the dipstick tube and it is still seated properly, so it's not like the tube backed out and the 'stick is now sliding down the side of the pan or anything.

At this point after multiple attempts to get a read on the dipstick, it still comes out dry.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions?

Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Ever get that "can't leave it alone" feeling?

Well, it's pitch black out and windy as hell, perfect time to go crawl around, over and under a truck.

But I found the problem! The 'stick popped through a rust hole in the tube and slid down the pan. Exactly like I said it didn't in my previous post. I missed it on my previous attempts because it was also behind the manifold and down tube from my line of sight.

So now I need to replace the tube, and it appears that it is press in type. Not looking forward to this job.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Shouldn't be too bad, I wonder if it's through the block or through the pan, either way it should replace easily enough. Good find.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I was going to suggest you see your clergyman

Old 03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Worst case would be dropping the pan (VERY not easy on a V8) & driving the stub of the tube up so you can pull it out. But they don't usually stick that hard, so you should be able to pull it out without much trouble.

Quick Reply: Problem: Dipstick is dry