Replacing Spark Plugs in 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Spark Plugs in 5.4L

I have a 2002 F-150 with the 5.4L. The plugs are due to be replaced. I am mechanically inclined (do my own brakes, etc.) but I'm no pro. With my Haynes manual I can get most of the basic jobs done.

I have heard that having my spark plugs replaced will cost quite a bit. Should I do this myself? With all the stories about these engines spitting out spark plugs it makes me nervous. If you do recommend that I do it myself, what brand plugs do you recommend? I have heard that Autolite is identical to Motorcraft, so I'm inclined to choose that brand. Also, any tips to make it go smoothly?

Thank you!

Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 PM
BSL
Thumbs up Get a Torque Wrench

My only advice would be to have patience, the way this engine is crammed in there this isn't a half hour job, I'm not really sure the best brand of spark plugs to use get one of the performance guys on here to answer that but as I've had a factory plug spit out of my '02 5.4 @ 75,000 I'd say a torque wrench is the most important part of this job. Find out factory torque specs and make sure you follow that and you should be fine. good luck man

Old 03-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
*Sigh* ... doesn't anyone know how to use the Search function anymore?

Kids

Well, the Spoon Department is temporarily open, so you are in luck:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ght=spark+plug

There's lots more - go look.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by John23
Should I do this myself?
With basic skills and patience you should have no problem. Use the "Search" function to read up on the issues other folks have posted and also check out this link in the "Technical Articles" section.

http://mattstruck.com/sparkplugs/sparkplugs.html

After reading some of posts about spit plug disasters, I too was apprehensive about doing this job. But if you take your time, follow the instructions, and torque the plugs carefully, you should have no problem.

You can also search for Autolite vs. Motorcraft, but the consensus seems to be to avoid Autolites.

I replaced the plugs (Motorcraft) and CoPs (from Global Automotive/eBay) on my '00 4.6 about 10k miles ago and have had no problems. The only surprise should be that it will take longer than you expect the first time you do it.

Ed

Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Motorcraft is what most recomend and you should have no prob doing it if your mechanicly inclined

Quick Reply: Replacing Spark Plugs in 5.4L