99 F150 5.4L engine miss

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 F150 5.4L engine miss

This is my second post of this problem because I posted to the wrong forum. My apologies.

I've had this truck since new and have never had a problem. Miles are 71k. Recently, while plowing some wet snow and about 35 miles after a fillup, I noticed that my engine started to miss. This happens mostly on acceleration load, even a slight one. As it goes through the gears if I nurse it gently with the accelerator I can get up up to 60mph where it'll cruise just fine on cruise control on level road, but when the slightest uphill grade is involved it starts to miss and jerk. The same thing happens if I press slightly on the accelerator, and is worse the higher I go on the gears. It is very similar to how a previous vehicle acted when I had a bad spark plug that only acted up under load. However, when I started looking for spark plug wires, there weren't any! Whats up with that?
It starts up like normal and seems to idle ok, but can't seem to handle much of a load. Also, my "service engine" light came on after about a day of this.
Anybody experienced this before?
All help would be appreciated.
Thanks folks.
Deke

Old 03-13-2007, 09:50 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If the CEL came on, go over to Autozone and get the codes read out. Check your codes against the list and see what they mean.

There are no spark plug wires - you have what's called COP - coil over plug. You may need new plugs and COP's.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If the CEL came on, go over to Autozone and get the codes read out. Check your codes against the list and see what they mean.

There are no spark plug wires - you have what's called COP - coil over plug. You may need new plugs and COP's.
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, the nearest Autozone or any other big chain is about 100 miles from here. We have Carquest and NAPA, but are small family run bus. that don't do diagnostics. Is it cost effective to buy an OBDII reader. What's one cost?
I figured out the COP thing and I pulled the easiest one, front-left (facing the engine) just to see what I had. The plug looked good so I cleaned it up, used dielectric grease, and replaced it. Then I tried to pull the left-rear unit (#8?). Sheesh! What were they thinking when they designed this thing? I finally managed to get the COP off, but I can't get an extension down in the plug hole because of such a tight fit back there and junk in the way. I'd like to take a look at that plug. Anyone have a trick to get that plug out?
This thing only has 71k on it and those things shouldn't wear out that quick, but alas, something sure has happened.
Thanks again.
Deke

Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Check the back passenger side COP and see if it has a green goo on it, there's a heater hose that may dribble on it and eventually futz it up. Throw a new cop on it and a extra hose clamp on there.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by 1m4g1nTh4t
Check the back passenger side COP and see if it has a green goo on it, there's a heater hose that may dribble on it and eventually futz it up. Throw a new cop on it and a extra hose clamp on there.
Yup, there's a bit of green goo on it, just a drop or two. Definitely a possibility. Now how does a guy get that spark plug out?
Deke

Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Fox5flyer
Is it cost effective to buy an OBDII reader. What's one cost?
You can get a basic model for $55. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LEG2K/

will read codes and reset the CEL. The OBDII system does a lot more than just set a code and turn on the CEL though, and there are more sophisticated scanners that will give you access to real time data and more. These scanners cost more, but a basic model like the one above will do the job if you just need to read & reset.

My local garage read the codes for me the first time #5 CoP started acting up. I went there on a Saturday morning when they weren't busy and they didn't even charge me for the read.

Anyone have a trick to get that plug out?
On my '00 4.6, unbolting the fuel rail and freeing it from the injectors made the job much easier. After moving the rail out of the way just a little, I was able to remove #8 with one long and one short extension and one swivel adapter.

-Ed

Old 03-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by F150NJ
You can get a basic model for $55. This one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LEG2K/

will read codes and reset the CEL. The OBDII system does a lot more than just set a code and turn on the CEL though, and there are more sophisticated scanners that will give you access to real time data and more. These scanners cost more, but a basic model like the one above will do the job if you just need to read & reset.

My local garage read the codes for me the first time #5 CoP started acting up. I went there on a Saturday morning when they weren't busy and they didn't even charge me for the read.

On my '00 4.6, unbolting the fuel rail and freeing it from the injectors made the job much easier. After moving the rail out of the way just a little, I was able to remove #8 with one long and one short extension and one swivel adapter.

-Ed
Thanks much for the information. I decided that the truck is useable on 7 pumpers until I can obtain a scanner to pinpoint what my problem is. I ordered one today and should have it by end of week. Surprising how inexpensive they are. I'm not a fan of parts changing until the problem is solved so hopefully I can buy just what I need and get it fixed properly. Thanks to all who offered their help.
Deke

Old 03-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks much for the information. I decided that the truck is useable on 7 pumpers until I can obtain a scanner to pinpoint what my problem is. I ordered one today and should have it by end of week. Surprising how inexpensive they are. I'm not a fan of parts changing until the problem is solved so hopefully I can buy just what I need and get it fixed properly. Thanks to all who offered their help.
Deke
I love this forum. Great resource for penny pinchers like me. I'm still awaiting the scanner, but in the meantime I can still use the truck, missing and all, but only under load. It occurred to me that if the scanner points to a particular cylinder that is missing, will it tell me if it's the plug or the coil? Using normal statistics, is it more likely to be the plug that is bad or the coil? Also, where can I find a listing of the diagnostic trouble codes for my vehicle (99 150 5.4L 4.4? I've searched this forum from top to bottom and haven't been able to locate any.
Thanks again for all of your help. Amazing how many great minds hang out here.
Deke

Old 03-15-2007, 07:13 PM
If I had to guess I would say it is the COP, I had one go bad on my 2002 and it ran just like what you are saying yours is running. It was a good buy, buying a scan tool. Try this link for your codes.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/

Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Andy-jr.
If I had to guess I would say it is the COP, I had one go bad on my 2002 and it ran just like what you are saying yours is running. It was a good buy, buying a scan tool. Try this link for your codes.

Thank you Andy. Perfect!
Once I determine and fix the problem I'll follow up and close out this thread.
Deke

Old 03-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Andy-jr.

My code scanner arrived in the mail Friday and this weekend I found the time to plug it into the truck to determine which cylinder was the miss firing culprit. What a job. Took all of about 5 minutes! It gave me a code of P0304 which indicates #4, nearest firewall, passenger side. I'm not sure if it's the COP or the plug, but as the missing only happens when the truck is completely warmed up, I'm planning to change the COP when I can find one. However, when I tried to remove the plug I found out why so much is charged for a plug job on this truck. With several sized extensions, u-joint, half inch ratchet, I couldn't budge it. I'm considering putting my air wrench on it, but I'm concerned about breaking the plug and having more problems than I can handle. I'm also considering just leaving it alone and hoping that the COP will do the job and leaving the plugs for another time, or perhaps another person to change. Anybody have any tricks to get these plugs out? Truck has about 71k on it. 5.4L
Thanks,
Deke

Old 03-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Just change the COP out your misfire will be fixed. Plugs should last another 20,000 at least, but if you feel the need change them out but I would leave the air tools out of it. The green goo on top of the Cop was from a leaking heater hose that runs just above there, the antifreeze eventually works its way down inside the potting seal and starts shorting out the COP. There was a TSB for it but forget what the Ford fix was. I just double clamped it and haven't had a problem since.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Howdy,

...I'm planning to change the COP when I can find one...
Global Automotive has single CoPs for $12 + $5.50 shipping. If this link doesn't work, search eBay for item# 160094420807. (Global also sells sets of eight CoPs for $96.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...mZ160094420807

Glad to hear you found the problem. An inexpensive code reader is worth the $$, imho.

-Ed

Old 03-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by 1m4g1nTh4t
Just change the COP out your misfire will be fixed. Plugs should last another 20,000 at least, but if you feel the need change them out but I would leave the air tools out of it. The green goo on top of the Cop was from a leaking heater hose that runs just above there, the antifreeze eventually works its way down inside the potting seal and starts shorting out the COP. There was a TSB for it but forget what the Ford fix was. I just double clamped it and haven't had a problem since.
Good advice, thanks much. I'll double clamp the heater hose for sure. The COP is on it's way. I'll report the results
Deke

Old 03-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by F150NJ
Howdy,

Global Automotive has single CoPs for $12 + $5.50 shipping. If this link doesn't work, search eBay for item# 160094420807. (Global also sells sets of eight CoPs for $96.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...mZ160094420807

Glad to hear you found the problem. An inexpensive code reader is worth the $$, imho.

-Ed
Thats a great help. I'll just replace the bad one for now and later down the road if I have anymore problems I'll replace them all, including plugs. I'm not real anxious to tackle that though. The Ford engineers didn't make it very easy.
I agree on the value of having a code reader. It only took about five minutes to hook it up and no exactly which cylinder was causing the problem. The nice thing is that it'll work on most other cars too that are obdII compliant.
Thanks,
Deke

Quick Reply: 99 F150 5.4L engine miss