No spark...HELP! HELP! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No spark...HELP! HELP! HELP!

Need your advice.

Just finished dropping in a new replacement Long block 5.4L motor in my 99F150 4x4.

Everything fine except no start!!!! No SPARK!!

Replaced both the crank postion sensor and the camshaft postion sensor still no spark.

I have 12v at the coils as required per test. When doing a wiring pulse test when cranking it over with a led test light ...still no blinking light as required.

No codes with Actron obdII tester.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Old 03-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If all else fails remove the HDR (crank)sensor. And look inside the front cover through the sensor hole. You may have to drop the A/C compressor to do this. Look for the HDR wheel. If it is there then check that the teeth on the wheel are facing forward. I have seen them installed backwards (and missing) and the sensor to wheel alignment is not close enough to allow a pulse. The cam sensor can also prevent the engine from firing but even with a bad cam sensor the engine should start approx 50% of the time unless the cam timing gear was installed backwards. Sometimes you can find some real strange things with rebuilt/reman engines. Which I am assuming you have. Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 03-11-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the tach needle moving when you crank? Assuming you have crank and no start. How long has the battery been disconnected? days/weeks? Do you have PATS system/ anti-theft?

Last edited by torkum; 03-11-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Unhappy No Spark!! Part 2

Thanks Guys,

Yes, it is a new rebuilt 5.4 from Promar engines. We have used them numerus times in the past for our corporate trucks without a problem.

The battery has been out for nearly 30 days. Yes the vehicle also has the theft system from Ford. And yes the tach and speedo both move when you initailly turn the key on.

We do have a odb-2 tester and everything checks out ok!

Per service manual we do have a functioning crank postion sensor. When rotaing the crank with a volt meter atached there is a definete spike when rotating which would mean it is sensing the space-no tooth.

When checking the coil conecting wire per the manual I have voltage when off and on alternate pin when key is on. However when cranking it over with a l.e.d. atached to the conector there is no pulse (light up l.e.d.) as there should be. I have checked both pins and neither has the pulse(light up).

Is there a way to check the pcm or is this dealer servicable only?
Thanks

Old 03-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Thumbs up No spark Part 3 FIXED!! Thanks Dynotech

A big thanks to DynoTech!!

After removing the whole front half of the engine again found that the CrankShaft Position Sproket was installed backwards.

Managed to get a digital camera into the Sesor hole and managed to see what was invisible to the outside. Sproket was facing wrong direction.

Now 2 hours and numerous thoughts on who to blame it is back to gether and running.

Thanks Again, Dynotech