Antifreeze confusion

Old 03-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze confusion

OK my main question is what are everyone's opinions on the different types of anitfreezes out there. A search turned up alot of people saying the extended life stuff would eat my engine from the inside, but provided no facts to back up that claim. Today I bought some Prestone Extended Life. My owners manual states to use phosphate free antifreeze that meets Ford Spec. ESE M97B44-A. Prestone's website FAQ says that the Extened Life 5/150 is phosphate free and meets the spec.

My other question is about flushing. Is it OK to use a garden hose to flush the radiator if the water drains right back out through the petc*ck? Also is it necessary to buy some special coolant system flush product?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The "extended life" claim refers ONLY to the antifreeze/antiboil properties. The anti-corrosion properties are lost MUCH faster than "regular" antifreeze, which is why people are telling you to avoid it. It doesn't actually "attack" your engine - it just doesn't protect it.

I don't think most retail coolant flushes have ANY effect, so I wouldn't waste the money. But I flush by warming up the system with the cap OFF (no pressure), then disconnecting the upper hose from the radiator, and putting the water hose into the radiator so it flows thru, gets pumped thru the engine, & then dumps out of the disconnected hose. It may cycle a few times as the cold water causes the thermostat to close & open, but just let it run until the water comes out clear. Then dump it & refill with antifreeze.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
extended life coolant will only work IF it is the FIRST coolant ever put in the engine at the factory since it's ad pack has chemicals in it that technically attack the metals in the engine and then in turn produce a bond to the metals.

with earlier formulations if you added non-extended life to extended life it would degrade the extended life's properties.

so without getting long winded, the prestone you bought is both extended life and non-extended life coolant compatible.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:33 PM
So basically if I change it in 2 or 3 years there shouldn't be a problem? I plan on draining the radiator and opening the block drain on the drivers side. That should get around 80% or so out. I figure I can get the radiator pretty well flushed by running a hose through it with the petc*ck open. Then I'll fill it up with distilled water and get it up to operating temp let it cool and then drain it all again. Then refill with half antifreeze half distilled water until it's full. What little old stuff is left will be pretty well diluted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antifreeze confusion