Put in a spark plug insert today, not feeling good about it...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put in a spark plug insert today, not feeling good about it...

I got the time-sert kit last week and decided to start working on it today. I had already pulled all the plugs earlier in the week, so I was ready to get started. I used the counterbore first, not sure if it is even meant for these heads, but did it anyway, don't think it did anything. Next came the Reamer. The directions don't really tell how long it takes, so I started it and would check with the tap to see if it was close. Kept working it until I thought it was right. It never really did what the directions said, or at least I couldn't tell. Checked with the mirror, looked like I had a 45* cut at the top. Next came the tap, this part actually went smoothly. Now time to put in the insert. It didn't seem like it wanted to start, so I kept working it, finally it went in. Pulled the setting tool out. Next time to use the driver tool. It started easy and got hard like it says. I worked through it, but it didn't seem like it got any easier. Started to unscrew it and when I pulled it out, the insert was attached to it. Great... Thankfully, I have 8 inserts. I put the next insert in, and everything worked fine. So I am not real confident about whether it will stay in or not. I guess we will see. I should have it all put back together early next week.

I did clean the hole and geased all the parts to catch the shavings. I then vacuumed it all out.

Randy

Last edited by F150 GTP; 03-10-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Got it all put back together. Fired it up and it is missing bad. I was going to buy new boots for the coils, but decided not to. I think now I should have done that. I am pretty sure that is what is causing it.

Randy

Old 03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Got a question, after you tapped the sparkplug hole could you tell or see if the threads in the head was as long as the inserts?? (like before you install one)

Cause I'm just wondering why the inside of the inserts are not threaded all the way too, like to match the plugs??. I think you can get an insert that has just as many threads as the sparkplugs do.

It's almost like you can screw the insert on the plug then go ahead and screw the plug in the head. I know it's not designed to do that but what if you could????

It would be nice to see a pic of a head off the block with a few before and after shots

Last edited by RacingJake; 03-13-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:28 PM
I couldn't really see anything at all. The position of the hole was such that I could not get my head directly over it. So I used the mirror and flashlight to see, and really could not see anything inside the hole.

I did some searching on here, and decided to go play around with the truck. I unplugged the injectors and cop's and reseated them. Fired it up and it purrs like a kitten now. I think I will go ahead and replace the boots just because the others are really old. All in all, the plug change was not that bad. I didn't use any weird combinations of extension. I just got up where I could reach in and get them out. I used a short one and a long one.

Now I just need to get the intercooler on my grand prix so I can run some 11's this year.

Randy

Old 03-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Good Job

Quick Reply: Put in a spark plug insert today, not feeling good about it...