Fuel Issue

Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Issue

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, first time poster.

Anyways, my F-150 has just recently developed some sort of fuel problem. This morning the truck was running great, especially since I just had the radiator, water pump, and all the hoses replaced. Well, I go to start it up on my way home from work and it fired, idled for about 10 seconds, and died. I tried to start it up again but had the same results. So, I flipped to the front gas tank assuming the rear was empty (I assumed this was the issue as I go by the odometer, the gas guage is broken on both tanks) and tried to start it up again.

This time it fired and idled, but I started pumping the gas pedal to keep the engine running. I did this for about a minute and it finally ran decently. Well, I noticed that on my way home the truck just barely pulled along, like it was about to stall out at any second. I could not get the truck out of second gear because I was afraid it would die if I went any faster (not that it would have allowed me anyways, I had no power).

I managed to get it home and let it idle for a while. It idled fine again, so I revved the engine some just to see how it was working.

Right now, its running fine, but I notice that when I just barely put any pressure on the accelerator the engine loses about 200-300 rpms. Then when I apply just a slight bit more pressure the engine catches back up and will rev up like it is supposed to.

Does anyone have any clue as to what this could be? Im thinking it has to do with the fuel filters, but I know little to nothing about this kind of thing.

Truck Specs:

1988 F-150 long bed
Dual 18 gallon tanks
4x4
5 Speed Manual Trans
Just replaced radiator, hoses, and water pump yesterday
Inline 6, 300

Old 03-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Welcome to the board.
There is not enought specific to go on.
I would check fuel pressure as the first thing to do, to see if it is pump related or if it is something else.
Could be water in the gas, fuel filter etc.
Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Issue