Anyone running NOS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running NOS?

I'm just curious if anyone around here is using a Nitrious Oxide System on their F-150? Sometimes my poor little 4.6 liter is struggling a bit to get up to speed when I'm pulling my boat, and I have considered adding something conservative, like 75-100hp dry shot of NOS when at WOT only. That would get me up to speed nicely...until the bottle runs dry I guess.

What I really want to know is, what things do I need to think about upgrading on my engine to keep things safe? I know anytime you add power there is a risk of breaking things, but I think the range I am looking at would be ok (from what I hear, a 75hp dry shot really only works out to about 40hp at the rear wheels...). I am mainly concerned about having the engine run too lean. Do I need to upgrade injectors for something like this, or will the stock one's flow plenty? Do I need a tune for my ECM, or will the stocker adapt?

My hope is to take the suggestion I have seen around here and drill/tap my worthless throttle body spacer and screw in some jets. Then I just need to piece together the rest of the kit. Regardless, any thoughts concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts concerning this would be to shop around for a more worthy candidate to hop -up. no offense ---- i have a 97 with a 4.6 , and i have an '05 with a 5.4, so that is my basis for comparison.

That nitrous kit will be a band aid at best and in a 4.6, it still will have a hard time equalling a stock 5.4 with no mods. Add in the potential reliability issues of nitrous on an engine with some miles on it, and its not worth messing with.

BTW -- i've thought of it too -- especially when i got my '97 back in '99-- the 4.6 will let you down in a lot of utility applications. Unless money is a serious squeeze , or you just love that '99 like you love your wife ------ trade that thing in for a '04 or up 5.4 truck, and then start saving for a Magnuson S/C unit if you want to make a few Mustangs blush

It would suck to go that much trouble plumbing the thing for nitrous just to wind up with a truck that runs 16's.

Quick Reply: Anyone running NOS?