Throttle Sticking, Any advice appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Sticking, Any advice appreciated...

Checked around with the search function and haven't come across to much on this.
I have had the throttle stick on two occasions now, when it's been very cold out (-20 degrees celcius, Ontario) the truck drives down the road like the cruise is on, and the brakes won't stop it. I had to put it in neutral at which point the engine redlines, then immediately shut it off, to stop. First time I thought I heard the gas pedal pop out as though it were stuck, restarted the engine and it was fine again. 2nd time, no gas pedal movement, so I checked the throttle cable at the pedal and it moves freely, I took the plastic cover that says 4.6 Triton off and the throttle or pivot point that the cable attaches too, seemed to be sticking, and not returning to the idle position, so I lubed it up and also lubed the pivot point for the gas pedal. I asked at my Ford Dealer if they replace many throttle return springs, thinking that maybe it's weakened, but was told that they had not. They advised that lubricating it should take care of it. It's been fine for about a month until today, again very cold -22 C, my wife took my truck (crappy weather / road conditions 4x4, etc) and it happened to her, needless to say it scared the hell out of her and she was pretty upset (read...runaway truck scenario) when she called me to tell me about it. Obviously this is a huge safety concern and I'll spend the necessary dough to fix it, just not exactly sure what to fix, or if there is something else I can check. New cable, and spring?

Any advice or similair experience/ solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jimmy

Old 03-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I had a 1998 f150 with the 4.2L V6 and if the temperature got below -15 or -20 degrees it would do the same thing. I had it looked at by a dealer and they fixed it without replacing anything. I dont know if they just lubed the cable or what but they didnt charge me anything either so I didnt ask to many questions. I would definetly get it looked at. I wish I knew what they did exactly. Sorry I couldnt help you more.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
TSB 2-19-3 addresses your known problem.
Basicly it's frozen moisture causing the problem.
The dealer has or can see the TSB info or do a search for it.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Good advice Stylinf150, I will take it in next week, sounds like the exact same thing, and thank you for the feedback!

Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
TSB 2-19-3 addresses your known problem.
Basicly it's frozen moisture causing the problem.
The dealer has or can see the TSB info or do a search for it.
Based on your advice I did a search and while I may not be looking in the right spot as I couldn't find that particular number anywhere, I did find a site (Edmunds) with the following tsb:

76. Vehicle Speed Control - 1997 Ford F-150
"A condition may exist, where throttle sticking may occur on a few vehicles in very cold ambient temperatures after operating at steady speed or extended idle for a period of time." (NHTSA item number - 627762)

That in a nutshell is what you've said, and makes perfect sense given that it's only happened on very cold days, after driving at highway speeds. I'm wondering if the moisture is due to me rinsing the motor off periodically in the summer. Anyway thanks very much for putting me on the right track Bluegrass!

Quick Reply: Throttle Sticking, Any advice appreciated...