4.6 v8 coolant leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 v8 coolant leaking

Have noticed a couple of threads about this on here, but thought i would add mine --- the hard line at the very back/left of the intake (it is shaped like an elbow) corroded so badly it broke off in my hand (235,000 miles) --- this hardline is wedged between the intake and the firewall and under the heater core hoses in seemingly the deepest , darkest hole possible, so i was wondering if this has happened to others, and if so, what is the fix. I assumed removing the intake and replacing the hard line with another, or some kind of bung -- but the line was probably a press fit from the factory

Old 03-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Streetstar
Have noticed a couple of threads about this on here, but thought i would add mine --- the hard line at the very back/left of the intake (it is shaped like an elbow) corroded so badly it broke off in my hand (235,000 miles) --- this hardline is wedged between the intake and the firewall and under the heater core hoses in seemingly the deepest , darkest hole possible, so i was wondering if this has happened to others, and if so, what is the fix. I assumed removing the intake and replacing the hard line with another, or some kind of bung -- but the line was probably a press fit from the factory
You will have to remove the Intake and Lower Plenum. There are is one bolt and one nut on the rear of the right head, between the head and the firewall, that will have to be removed.

Then give it a little twist and just pull if off of the nipple on the rear of the water pump.

The seal is made by two o-rings. I'd suggest getting new ones from Ford. Or at least bring an old one with you to the parts store to find an appropriate replacement.

Your most difficult and most frustrating part of this entire job will be disconnecting the fuel lines from your fuel rail. It uses those pain in the butt spring clamps, take your time they'll come apart eventually.

Good luck,
Doug

Old 03-06-2007, 03:36 PM
4.6 V8 F150 Leak behind manifold

I have the same problem. My elbow just has a pin hole and I ordered the part from the dealer. Part number F75Z 9D428 CA (TUBE ASSEMBLY). It's a twenty dollar part. There are no threads on the part the mechanics say it's pressed in, and to remove it they told me to spray penitrating oil and let it sit and then it should work out if you use a light grip on some channel locks. It's hard to reach, but I think it can be done without removing the manifold. It seems like a poor design on Ford end. The Ford mechanics assured me that it would come out if there wasnt' to much corrosion and the new piece wouldn't require any glues or sealers. I will let you know how if goes. I'm installing mine tonight.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Parker, did you manage to get that tube in without messing with the manifold?

I think i'm stuck on mine because the darn thing is broken off flush at its insertion point, so i have to be able to pry the stub out of the hole
(sounds like a bad date story)

Old 03-12-2007, 04:37 PM
I got no good news.

I had to take the manifold off after all. The pipe just wasn't strong enough to pull out. Even after many applications of penetrating oil and tapping and twisting. It wouldn't move. I'm guessing all the rust had it sealed in pretty good. I had to tap it out from behind after removing the manifold. Careful when you put the new tube back in the hole and tap it down. My new part wouldn't go all the way in and I ended up cracking the new piece. Turns out the new piece was longer from the tip to the collar than the old one. After much frustration and a pressure test everything is good.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
at least you got it back together and running again man --- i will start on mine next weekend most likely -- between this one and trying to lift my newer daily driver, it seems i have plenty of projects to keep me busy for the next couple of weekends.

How much did the intake gaskets cost you?

Quick Reply: 4.6 v8 coolant leaking