how to make sure it lasts forever?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to make sure it lasts forever?

i have the 4.9 6 cylinder and i've had it since 107k miles today just rolled to 117k miles. So far really, i have only done oil changes... what are some things i should check that would be easy and effective to insure no future problems persist on short notice? K&N website says that their air filter will be last one you will ever need to buy... is this true?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Yup, 1 million miles they say, or unlimited time. All I can say is it's true. I wanted a new foam seal on mine or a solution, they said ship it to us and we'll ship a new one back. In the meantime they just shipped a new one and didn't want the old one, just proof I owned one. I was supposed to wait for the new one for shipping on their dime whatever but I was happy. As far as the rest of the truck, keep up on maintenance and buy quality stuff.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Spark plugs!! And trans fluid...fuel filter. If you do get a k&n just wash your intake after you oil it and drive it for a a tank or so.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Nvrm about the trans fluid...see you have a new trans

Old 03-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you have a good engine to start with... just keep up on maintanence and it will last a VERY long time. Those engines are bullet proof. FWIW... the basic engine you have started life as an industrial engine as a (I think.. it has been years since I thought about this...) 260 cubic inch engine used in forklifts and industrial water pumps and the like. I think it came out in the early 1960's. there have been millions of them made and they are very strong. I have a freind who put a 4bbl manifold and headers on it and a cam and it smokes the tires off.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by chris1450
you have a good engine to start with... just keep up on maintanence and it will last a VERY long time. Those engines are bullet proof. FWIW... the basic engine you have started life as an industrial engine as a (I think.. it has been years since I thought about this...) 260 cubic inch engine used in forklifts and industrial water pumps and the like. I think it came out in the early 1960's. there have been millions of them made and they are very strong. I have a freind who put a 4bbl manifold and headers on it and a cam and it smokes the tires off.
Bulletproof i agree IMO,if ya don't know last maintainencce give it a good tune up and change all of the fluids at least then you know all of that is good and will prevent future damages.Tranny,front end, rear,transfer case.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin24
Bulletproof i agree IMO,if ya don't know last maintainencce give it a good tune up and change all of the fluids at least then you know all of that is good and will prevent future damages.Tranny,front end, rear,transfer case.

how much would a full maintenance like that cost? I don't have unlimited money :P... but I seriously just wanna make sure everything on it is in great condition and will last me a long time.. it has no dents no scratches but tiny unnoticeable under driver side key... nothing wrong at all with it... i love it to death, interior is superb. bluebook says its worth 4000.. i bet i could get 6000 or more for it easy. i just recently hit 117,000 miles. how much would the full tuneup and filters and fluids and plugs and all cost? front rear transfer etc? ABOUT in houston

Old 03-03-2007, 08:51 PM
i would say parts would be around $150-200 depending on brands you use.This is what i figured on plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter,tranny fluid,filter,engine oil,filter,gear oil for front and rear,transfer case takes tranny fluid i think,antifreeze for radiator flush.As far as labor i'm not sure i would suggest buying a cheap repair manual and you could get by on this w/ basic socket and wrench set if you don't have them you could buy them and it will still be cheaper than taking it somewhere.Anyone who can read and knows which way is tighten and loosen can do this w/ a book. IMO

feel free to ad guys if you think my parts price is off or you can think of anything else

Quick Reply: how to make sure it lasts forever?