engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine noise

I have recently done a PI head swap involving replaceing my heads, upper and lower intake, and replacing my exhaust manifolds with pacesetter short headers. After doing all this work I have this tapping noise that I only hear under a load. I am fairly shore that it is an exhaust leak but I cant seem to find it. Recently I pulled the headers off and replaced the paper gaskets with copper gaskets and used locking header bolts. This has not fixed my problem. I would like to know if any one else has this kind of problem with pacesetter headers or if any one has any ideas on how to find the leak.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you check the plugs? They make that sound if there loose.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
take a nice length of rubber tubing and use it as a stethascope of sorts, (a nice 3/8 rubber fuel line or somthing) hold one end to your ear and position the other end in various areas around the header joints (even the collectors) the hose works great for air/exhaust leak sounds. If that doesn't point you to it, definatly check the plugs as JBREW suggested as that is what most people report before the big boom! If it is a plug, pull the plug, inspect the threads and see if there is any wear, if possible check the threads in the head for damage (you may need a borescope) if they appear ok, just reinstall the plug at the proper torque.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
plowing a plug was the reason for the pi head swap. that was one of the first things i checked. every thing checked out on the plugs. I have read other places online about bad wields on this pacesetter headers. has anyone had experince with this brand.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well you didn't say that and that is a fairly common prob - You should try posting in the exhaust section , unless you tried that already ? It may help you find an answer quicker - click here -
https://www.f150online.com/forums/index.php
scroll down to exhaust..

Good luck

Last edited by jbrew; 02-28-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 PM
i've got a tapping (i called it ticking) problem too. It drives me nuts. i'm bringing it to firestone tomarrow to see what they think. My check engine light came on yesterday after work, i hope its a related situation so the problem can be diagnosed and quickly fixed. i'll find out tomarrow and post what they say, if they say anything. The truck is stock so it cant be headers, but maybe it could be the plugs. IDK, i'll find out though!

John

Old 03-02-2007, 09:44 PM
ok I dont think this noise i am hearing is an exhaust leak. I hear some tapping noise at idle. I know it is coming from somewhere around the valve covers but i know it is not coming from the headers. The noise becomes very noticable under a load. I am wondering if this could be some kind of valve lash or lifter problem.

Quick Reply: engine noise