coil pack bolt HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coil pack bolt HELP

Had to clean some moisture off #7 plug and coil. I ended up cross threading and breaking off the head of the bolt that holds on the coil pack. Did not realize because my universal joint on my socket was leaning on the diaphram above (on fuel line? I believe. Any ideas??. If I have enough bolt would it be worth just trying a 7mm nut?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You'll prolly need 2 nuts or something to lock the nut to keep it from vibratying off . You can't put to much torque on the coils, you'll break that ear off - there suppose to be loose on that bushing..

Old 02-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull the intake and do it wright, I know it SUCKS but you'll be glad when its done and it will really be easier

Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Last truck I really did some wrenching on was a 76 IHC SCoutt traveler. Intake manifold was 120 pounds of cast iron. Being the ford is light years advanced with thousands more parts on the intake manifold I am wondring if I should try myself?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be a challenge for you.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Any ideas on least expensive place to purchase a new intake. Since I am going to be in there any worth while mods that can be done?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:58 PM
If you have enough threads sticking out, after you remove the COP, double nut what is left of the bolt and remove it. Then, retap the hole with a 7mm tap. You may be able to save some of the threads. Remember, you don't have to apply the force of God to snug the COP down onto the intake. It needs to be tight enough so that it won't vibrate loose, but loose enough so that the bushing can rotate a little bit.
If there are not enough threads left in the intake then tap it a little bit bigger.
If you are just going to pull the whole intake, a whorthwhile mod may be an Allen supercharger.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If your not Turbo charging- Pro Charger spanks them all..

I tried to get him to do the double nut thing in the beginning of this thread..

Old 02-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I would suggest getting out the remainder of the bolt however you can (double-nutting as above would be a good first try).

After out you can chase threads with a tap and I would be suprised if there weren't enough threads to allow it to torque up. That bolt is retty long it may have only messed up the threads up top.

Also, I have used thread forming compound from loctite in the past on low torque bolts like this.

If you salvage enough threads to torque up I would also suggest using blue loctite when you install as a preventative measure to keep it from backing out.

If threads are destryoed, pull the intake and time sert, or time sert there if you can get to it.

My 2cents.

Andy

Quick Reply: coil pack bolt HELP