98 5.4 just dont have the kick it use to

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 5.4 just dont have the kick it use to

ive had this 98 f150 for 5 years now and just recently ive noticed that it just dont have the *** it use to ive performed regular maint. on it such as plugs and the typical coil packs that keep failing.i dont know if the engine is the prob or if theres an issue with the trans.i say the trans because at times it just dont feel the same it dont slip but it shifts odd to me ever since ive had it.take for example times when it should down shift it upshifts like when someone in front of you slows to make a turn and you go to accel. it will up shift instead of down shift.and when it does this you have push the throttle down further and when you do that its like your trying to abuse it just to pick up speed i dont know whats wrong with it.is there anything i can do to get this thing to come back alive any input will be appreciated

Old 02-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look at my sig.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Clean the throttle body and all the egr ports.
Clean the MAF.
Check your air filter see if it's dirty.
Change your fuel filter.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by stevero
ive had this 98 f150 for 5 years now and just recently ive noticed that it just dont have the *** it use to ive performed regular maint. on it such as plugs and the typical coil packs that keep failing.i dont know if the engine is the prob or if theres an issue with the trans.i say the trans because at times it just dont feel the same it dont slip but it shifts odd to me ever since ive had it.take for example times when it should down shift it upshifts like when someone in front of you slows to make a turn and you go to accel. it will up shift instead of down shift.and when it does this you have push the throttle down further and when you do that its like your trying to abuse it just to pick up speed i dont know whats wrong with it.is there anything i can do to get this thing to come back alive any input will be appreciated
My 98 halls a$$ @ 206,000 miles...What trans do you have ? Is it a 4x4? how many miles? what have you done to it recently? what kind of plugs are you running? what type of intake? what exhaust are you running ? ever change the injectors? whens the last time you flushed the trans?

Just some questions for yuh..

Old 02-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Take that puppy for a road test.

Drop it in 1st gear at a stop then floor the pedal then shift it into 2nd then 3rd. You should be up around 100mph by then. Then try it in Drive and compared the two.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Is the engine running hotter than it used to? You may have a partially clogged catalytic converter. If the engine has high miles you may want to have this checked.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:50 PM
My 97 does the exact same thing i dont know what to try either

Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
answere the questions and I'll tell yuh , a few cheap ways to improve it....

Last edited by jbrew; 02-25-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
well my truck is 4x4 ive installed a k&n air filter.with magnaflow exhaust with stock converters these items have been installed for a while recent repairs have consist of new fuel filter about 3000 miles ago #4 coil pack,idle air control and just changed the oil with mobil one syn i have 135000 miles on my truck and i have shifted it manually before and only result of that is it revs higher but still dont put you in the seat like it use to hell for example i got out ran by a buick regal with a v6 that was sad and i know this truck has better performance than this because it was alot quicker than this ill try cleaning intake system. any particular cleaning proceeder for this and ive changed the trans fluid and filter do i need to take it and have them flush the converter.im running autolite plugs whats the best for these engines.is it time to replace the injectors it dosent have any missfire but ill try these things and see what happens and soon as i find out ill let yall know

Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a 97 5.4 with 150k miles it was not running it best, put in the shop and they. replaced the battery terminals, the battery, fuel filter, 1 coil pack and the sparkplugs, it runs so much better.

i kept playing with it when i had time, i should have had it in the shop a year ago.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Might be time for new O2 sensors. When were they last changed?

JMC

Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 PM
replaced one o2 sensor on the right bank closest to the engine.dodne this about 5000 miles ago.also i was considering removing the whole exhaust and running true duals with two chamber flowmasters i know there will be an issue with the o2 sensors what needs to be done to make it work and will this kill it even worse hte engine dont run hotter than usual like a converter is stopped up but they've never been changed either.only thing that ive noticed a difference is that the engine does not start like it use to for example during cold starts when you crank it over youll get to the point where it is fixing to start and you let off the key it will go dead as if you didnt let it crank long enough.then when you start it again it starts fine dont know if its got any thing to do with the low power but just trying to think of all symptoms i have.i just had to replace the radiator so i havent had a chance to try those things listed above but i got a free weekend to do them and see what happens

Quick Reply: 98 5.4 just dont have the kick it use to