'03 SCrew 5.4L running with low oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 SCrew 5.4L running with low oil

I change my oil every 3K-5K miles using only Mobil 1. The other day I noticed the oil pressure light come on when I was making a turn. When I got home I checked the oil level and the dipstick was dry! I decided not to drive it until I changed the oil. I bought some cheap oil(Quaker State) and filter to flush out the engine before I put in the usual Mobil 1. I sifted through the old oil (there wasn't very much to sift through) and found what I thought was a small pebble (about the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil). I put a magnet to it and found it was metal. I turned on the truck and everything sounded normal. No clicking, clanking, pinging, nothing. So far everything seems back to normal. My question is, considering the size of the piece of metal I found, what is the likelyhood of irreparable damage to the engine? Also, how did I burn all that oil in so little time without noticing a significant loss in gas mileage? I didn't see any leaks in the oil pan, heads, or oil filter, am I missing something (besides a small piece of metal from somewhere in my engine)?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 PM
I am not sure why your truck ran through its oil like that. You said that there were no leaks or anything out of the ordinary besides being dry? On the metal piece part, does the piece look like it was marred/sheared off of anything? With the engine sounding normall no Pop's on the diagnostic test (take it down the AZ...they will do it for free) I don't think there is anything to worry about. It could very well be a piece of the oil pan or something that didn't go through the engine to get there (when metal working there are some little pieces that can fall through) especially with Mass Production. Well thats what I think could be wrong...anyone else? Hope this helps.
~Phil

Old 02-22-2007, 11:40 PM
I use Quaker State in my truck and my dragbike without any problems

If you ain't leaking oil you must be burning it, valve seals or piston rings??? maybe a defected PCV valve. No way the dipstick should be dry in 3K's.

Have someone follow you around and get on the gas hard and see if it smokes

Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 PM
You're being kinda silly about flushing the oil out. It really isn't that important. Take a pic of the metal piece you got out of the oil pan.

Quick Reply: '03 SCrew 5.4L running with low oil