Seeping head gasket 4.6L???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...so, has anyone done a write-up / how-to on this job? Torque specs? Anything special other than a pulley puller required? How long does it take? Do the exhaust manifolds have to come off? When did Ford start using the current head gasket?

Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I printed a full print out of the job off AllData. Just remove the intake, valve cover, front engine cover, exhaust manifolds, than the heads. There are quite a few things you have to purchase. you MUST replace the head bolt since they are torque sensitive. Three stages of torqing the head bolts.

Exhaust studs & nuts
Intake Gaskets
Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
Front Cover Gasket
Throttle Body Gasket
Headbolts

Might as well change your timing chain tensioners while your in there. you have to be very careful when cleaning the aluminum surface of the heads. Do not use razor and wire brushes. I'd use a 90 degree angle grinder with a soft cleaning pad. When removing the exhaust studs you have to have a good angle or a impact wrench. They snap off like toothpicks, leaving the rest of the stud in the head. That is a pain.

Like I said I have the whole write up, but forgot it in my box.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks man, what a PITA!!! Good time for JBA's though.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Jackal
Thanks man, what a PITA!!! Good time for JBA's though.
Heh. Yea, I'm REALLY looking forward to tearing into this engine

Old 03-08-2007, 12:38 PM
ctc, is there anyway you can send me the AllData job description and a complete list of the parts needed to do the job? Or is AllData a website that I can go to? A parts list would be real nice ... I hate getting into a job and then finding out I don't have something I need. Thanks, Gary B.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Suspended
Alldata did not give me a full parts list. Sorry I cant share the Alldata, that illegal. But it basically just says what I had said, but only deeper in detail. Its pretty simple. The goal is to get the heads off. So what do you do? Get rid of everything in your way of the cylinder heads. Just remember what went where and bag-n-tag bolts in a ziplock bag and a sharpie

Quick Reply: Seeping head gasket 4.6L???