Hissing on Shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hissing on Shutoff

Everytime I operate the vehicle for an hour or more, I get a good deal of pings and hissing on shutoff. Is this normal??

Thanks

Old 02-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
No.
What you hear is a volume that has either accumulated vacuum or pressure,
It's bleeding off.
An EGR could do this if the EVR is not letting air back into the diaphram in the normal manner during operation.
If the EGR is kept open with vaccuum all the time you will have drivability issues.
What you hear may be something else; the EGR is one example.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
No.
What you hear is a volume that has either accumulated vacuum or pressure,
It's bleeding off.
An EGR could do this if the EVR is not letting air back into the diaphram in the normal manner during operation.
If the EGR is kept open with vaccuum all the time you will have drivability issues.
What you hear may be something else; the EGR is one example.
You cannot say that conclusively. There are any number of items on the vehicle that can explain those noises. The popping can be the exhaust tubing cooling, the pinging can be explained by the cats or the heat shields or the muffler cooling, and the hissing can be the AC system bleeding off the pressure through the evaporator. All the vehicles I've owned in my lifetime have made those three noises after being driven.

-Joe

Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you have and how many miles?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Another thing...

It could also be that his injectors need cleaning. If you have surges in RPM when idling, then they definitely need to be cleaned.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
My cat shields ting allot after shut down, but thats normal. I have a 98 and theres been a few cat shields TSB's from Ford. The noisiest costumer concern to do with the cat shields is that they get loose, but most of the noise is generated at idle in gear with the brakes applied.

The #1 noise after shut down is what Bluegrass touched on I think - The EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid (EVR). On the 5.4L - 4.6L engines is sits directly between the TPS and DPFE sensors. After shutdown it can hum/whine , play a toon. If you here something of that sort , Immediately open your hood and put your hand on it to verify concern - it will be vibrating..That's not the problem tho - Your EGR valves diaphram is plugged..

Last edited by jbrew; 02-24-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It might also be A/C condensate dripping onto the exhaust.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
My cat shields ting allot after shut down, but thats normal. I have a 98 and theres been a few cat shields TSB's from Ford. The noisiest costumer concern to do with the cat shields is that they get loose, but most of the noise is generated at idle in gear with the brakes applied.

The #1 noise after shut down is what Bluegrass touched on I think - The EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid (EVR). On the 5.4L - 4.6L engines is sits directly between the TPS and DPFE sensors. After shutdown it can hum/whine , play a toon. If you here something of that sort , Immediately open your hood and put your hand on it to verify concern - it will be vibrating..That's not the problem tho - Your EGR valves diaphram is plugged..
i notice this noise when i shut my truck off and the other day i had opened my hood and noticed it was coming from the EVR. from what you are saying the egr valves are plugged? what is the solution? i just recently replaced my egr valve about 2k miles ago.

Last edited by iziris; 02-24-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cat stuck in the engine bay?

Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by iziris
i notice this noise when i shut my truck off and the other day i had opened my hood and noticed it was coming from the EVR. from what you are saying the egr valves are plugged? what is the solution? i just recently replaced my egr valve about 2k miles ago.

Do U still have the old one? Try plugging that in and see what happends . It could be the orifice..

Quick Reply: Hissing on Shutoff