Sea foam or Injector service?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea foam or Injector service?

Hey guys,
I have around 160,000 miles on my f150 and have done the seafoam treatment throught he booster line cleaning before (around 100,000 miles). But I am a little wary of doing this now with so many miles. I have also heard that motorvac injector service is a good way to go. But at around 100 bucks it is a little high for me. My question being, is the motorvac service superior to the seafom treatment in terms of reliably not harming the engine and in terms of effectiveness??

Old 02-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Are you have any problems with your truck currently or are you doing this as preventive maintenance? I usually just throw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in my tank every other month and forgo having to worry about these procedures you are looking into. I also change my fuel filter out every 30,000 miles

-Brian

Old 02-18-2007, 12:41 PM
I am hoping to improve my fuel mileage a little, and also help with the engine life and effeciency.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:45 PM
So I have around 160K on my truck and I was fixing to do the seafoam treatment on it in a few days. Why are you worried about doing it now? Are there other risks involved? Im doing it for the same reasons: Improve fuel mileage a little and help clean out the engine. Anyway, Im just wondering. thanks.

Old 02-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 4.6 and the 5.4 burn pretty clean. i do half a can of sea foam maybye once a year. stuffs strong. just keep fuel filter clean , a bottle of injector cleaner every 5k and youll be fine. i bought my 97 4.6 with 123k i seafomed her she didnt smoke at all. i hada 94 dakota with 140k seafoamed her she smoked like crazy for like 15 mins. the fords burn cleaner from what ive noticed.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Motorvac treatment hooks up to the fuelline and mixes with the gas to clean the injectors. The Seafoam thru the vacuum hose goes were the air goes. I'm with Keith97XLT, I have run Seafoam thru my 4.6 at 80k and no smoke. Seen GMs smoke like a blown headgasket. Do recommend cleaning the 2 port holes in the throttlebody for the EGR.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by ross2388
So I have around 160K on my truck and I was fixing to do the seafoam treatment on it in a few days. Why are you worried about doing it now? Are there other risks involved? Im doing it for the same reasons: Improve fuel mileage a little and help clean out the engine. Anyway, Im just wondering. thanks.

I have heard with these higher mileage engines that the seafoam can knock carbon loose and bend valves. dont quote me on that though

Old 02-19-2007, 08:58 AM
OK...Thanks for the input. I wasnt sure what the risks were.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by bdenglund
I am hoping to improve my fuel mileage a little, and also help with the engine life and effeciency.
If your truck is running good, you need to LEAVE IT ALONE. Seafoam is for people that have something wrong, and they want to try a "cure-in-the-can"

If there's nothing wrong with your truck, you risk breaking it. If it's already broke, what's to loose? See the logic?

Sucking additives through your booster hose isn't gonna increase mileage.

Also, I've seen pistons/heads coated with carbon deposits. I hate to tell ya'll but seafoam isn't going to do anything to it. It has to be scraped off with a screwdriver, or a wire brush wheel. And even then, it's REALLY stubborn.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:20 PM
See? :
Originally Posted by jjcsnlynn
I put it in through the brake booster line just like on the can, let it sit for 5 minutes and now I have bigger problems. I have a knock, seems to be on the left side, and a check engine light. Took it to a local repair place and he seems to think the noise is in the valve train.

WHat went wrong?
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=273395

Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
So chester what do you think then? My truck shakes. Ive had coil packs out before and it doesnt shake quite as bad as those times. It only shakes occasionally at idle and when I turn and accelerate sometimes. Nothing bad but I didnt figure it could hurt? Could it be plugs or what other possiblities. Oh and its good to see some other farmers on here

Old 02-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by ross2388
So chester what do you think then? My truck shakes. Ive had coil packs out before and it doesnt shake quite as bad as those times. It only shakes occasionally at idle and when I turn and accelerate sometimes. Nothing bad but I didnt figure it could hurt? Could it be plugs or what other possiblities. Oh and its good to see some other farmers on here
How long has it been since your last spark plug change? In order for the engine to set a code, it has to miss a certian number of times over a certian time period. So make it do it as much as you can, and you'll get a check eninge light. Yeah, nice to know I'm not outnumbered quite as bad now!!

Old 02-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by bdenglund
I have heard with these higher mileage engines that the seafoam can knock carbon loose and bend valves. dont quote me on that though
Just put some in mine (157K) and now I have a #6 misfire code and a knock. I think I either bent a valve, pushrod or broke a spring. I put it in the booster line which feed directly above #6 cylinder.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by jjcsnlynn
Just put some in mine (157K) and now I have a #6 misfire code and a knock. I think I either bent a valve, pushrod or broke a spring. I put it in the booster line which feed directly above #6 cylinder.
Pull the spark plug in that cylinder, and see what you get. Sorry to hear it.

You can try swapping a COP, spark plug, and injector from another cylinder, and see what happens...

Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Alright...so I dont know when the last time the plugs have been changed in my truck. I hate to admit it but I bought the truck at 100k and thats one thing I havent done maintenence wise since I've had it. Ill probably do a search later on but is changing out the plugs something I can do on a saturday with a socket set with an extension? Or should I just let a mechanic do it? I like doing things my self.

Quick Reply: Sea foam or Injector service?