codes for check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation codes for check engine light?

Just drove 700 miles with no problems and at the end of the trip,my check engine light blinked about 10 times and now stays lit.how do I retreive or "read" the codes to expose the problem.Thanks

Old 02-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Sullman20
Just drove 700 miles with no problems and at the end of the trip,my check engine light blinked about 10 times and now stays lit.how do I retreive or "read" the codes to expose the problem.Thanks
You can take the truck to Auto Zone and they should be able to hook up a scanner and tell you what the code(s) is(are). Make sure you write them down. I don't know if they will tell you what they mean.

Mike

Old 02-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Even if they do try to tell you what they mean, just WREITE DOWN THE ACTUAL CODE numbers, then come back here and do a SEARCH for those codes to see previous discussions on what they mean and how to correct the faults. Most common fault codes are well-documented here and elsewhere.

Under no circumstances should you let the monkeys at the parts store try to diagnose the actual fault unless they will accept responsibility for incorrect guesses.

If you are not encountering any noticable drivability issues, the fault is going to be emissions related.

Steve

Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by mgsalida
You can take the truck to Auto Zone and they should be able to hook up a scanner and tell you what the code(s) is(are). Make sure you write them down. I don't know if they will tell you what they mean.

Mike
Is there a way to read them through the digital dash or count the blinks?

Old 02-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by jjcsnlynn
Is there a way to read them through the digital dash or count the blinks?
I don't know, but it's too easy to take it to advance, or autozone or whatever, and let them do it for free.

Quick Reply: codes for check engine light?