4.9L Straight 6 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.9L Straight 6 Questions

I have a few questions concerning the straight 6 4.9L engine that I just installed in my 77 F150. I would appreciate any help that could be given.

1. On the exhaust manifold, there is a hole on the opposite side of where the butterfly is that helps control the choke. Is this hole supposed to be plugged. It has an indentation, however it is not threaded and the butterfly rod comes through part of the way. I get major exhaust leak there. I cannot find anywhere that tells me if this is supposed to be sealed of with a small plug or not.

2. I recently installed a crate engine and it is losing oil right where the motor bolts up to the tranny? Any ideas what this could be?

3. My heater works, however it is not the hottest and barely keeps the truck warm in cold weather. Anyone have any suggestions?

I really appreciate any advice or help anyone could give me.

Michael

Old 02-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1) The tube inside the manifold is rusted & leaking. You need to replace either the tube, or the whole manifold. There should be a hard steel tube slipped into that tube going up to the choke, where it threads in like a fuel line.

2) Did you apply sealant to the flywheel/flexplate bolts? Many people forget that, and oil goes by the threads.

3) With the engine fully warmed up & the heater set to full hot & the blower on hi, check the temperatures of the heater hoses & the upper radiator hose. Are they all the same? Is one heater hose slightly cooler than the other?

Old 02-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Still troubleshooting

I have the tube that goes from the top portion of the intake manifold to the choke. Are you refering to the intake or exhaust manifold when you said the tube inside the manifold. Sorry I am just trying to see this in my head. I have the blown diagram of the engine and can't place it.

2. Yes sealant was applied to the flexplate bolts.

3. the upper hose from the radiator is hotter than the heater hoses.

Thanks for your thought in the replies, I appreciate your input.

Originally Posted by Steve83
1) The tube inside the manifold is rusted & leaking. You need to replace either the tube, or the whole manifold. There should be a hard steel tube slipped into that tube going up to the choke, where it threads in like a fuel line.

2) Did you apply sealant to the flywheel/flexplate bolts? Many people forget that, and oil goes by the threads.

3) With the engine fully warmed up & the heater set to full hot & the blower on hi, check the temperatures of the heater hoses & the upper radiator hose. Are they all the same? Is one heater hose slightly cooler than the other?

Old 02-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1) The tube in the exhaust manifold that the one from the choke slips into.

2) Could be the rear main seal, or a camshaft bore plug, if the leak is NOT visible on top of the bellhousing. Are you sure it's not just the valve cover? Look carefully. Its lip is turned UP, so a leak anywhere (even at the front) will run to the back & drip down the bellhousing.

3) Sounds like the heater core is plugged. Try reversing the flow by swapping the hoses at the firewall. A new heater core is cheap (~$25) and easy to install (~30 min if you take your time).

Quick Reply: 4.9L Straight 6 Questions