2000 F150 Spittin' and Sputterin'

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F150 Spittin' and Sputterin'

My 2000 F150, 4.6 V8 is spitting and sputtering. Idle is a little rough, but seems to even out at highway speeds. My first thought was plug wires, but I looked under the hood and I don't have plug wires! Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. -Al

Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the check engine light code? Be looking for a vacuum leak. You have coil over plugs.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:52 AM
The engine light isn't on. I keep waiting for it, but it hasn't come on yet.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
You don't have any plug wires because you have Coil Over Plugs which have a boot attached to them. These boots break down over time and allow the spark to leak to the engine, thereby causing your condition. I would suggest changing plugs and boots if you have not done this already.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Light came on - definitely a problem with the #8 cylinder (figures). I changed the boot first, and that didn't fix it, so I changed the plug. It's still misfiring - BAD! I guess the only other thing it could be is the C.O.P. right? Is it possible I didn't put the new boot back on right? Is there more to it than it seems? I just put the spring on the COP, slid the boot over that and bolted the thing back in. The resistor on the plug looked fine, but the plug itself looked really bad, although I didn't see any cracks or anything else. Anybody got any ideas before I spend $50 on a COP? Thanks. -Al

Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Yankee7985
You don't have any plug wires because you have Coil Over Plugs which have a boot attached to them. These boots break down over time and allow the spark to leak to the engine, thereby causing your condition. I would suggest changing plugs and boots if you have not done this already.
Light came on - definitely a problem with the #8 cylinder (figures). I changed the boot first, and that didn't fix it, so I changed the plug. It's still misfiring - BAD! I guess the only other thing it could be is the C.O.P. right? Is it possible I didn't put the new boot back on right? Is there more to it than it seems? I just put the spring on the COP, slid the boot over that and bolted the thing back in. The resistor on the plug looked fine, but the plug itself looked really bad, although I didn't see any cracks or anything else. Anybody got any ideas before I spend $50 on a COP? Thanks. -Al

Quick Reply: 2000 F150 Spittin' and Sputterin'