Problems with truck startingstaying running

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with truck startingstaying running

Hey,

well my truck has started to give me some problems lately. The one of my main concern is lately when I go to start the truck, it wont stay running. It starts like normal, but then it dies. Its done this a few times in the past few weeks (two or three times), but today was really bad. Usually I go to start it, it dies, and then it starts back up and its fine after that. Today I had to two foot my way home because it just would not stay running unless I kept one foot on the gas. Thankfully, I only live about 3 miles from work. When I pulled into the driveway it died again and I started it back up one last time and it ran just fine after that, I pulled back out and drove for a few minutes and it didnt die on me again...so apparently its fine once the engine is warmed up.

Im not sure where to start on this, so I need some suggestions.
Thanks.

Last edited by Johngs; 02-12-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a check engine light on and what are the codes/code? My first guess would be the Idle Air Controller/IAC. As the name says it controls your idle.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Johngs
Hey,

well my truck has started to give me some problems lately. The one of my main concern is lately when I go to start the truck, it wont stay running. It starts like normal, but then it dies. Its done this a few times in the past few weeks (two or three times), but today was really bad. Usually I go to start it, it dies, and then it starts back up and its fine after that. Today I had to two foot my way home because it just would not stay running unless I kept one foot on the gas. Thankfully, I only live about 3 miles from work. When I pulled into the driveway it died again and I started it back up one last time and it ran just fine after that, I pulled back out and drove for a few minutes and it didnt die on me again...so apparently its fine once the engine is warmed up.

Im not sure where to start on this, so I need some suggestions.
Thanks.
It's the IAC valve. 100% positive. Take it off and clean it.

....hmmm.....

Last edited by chester8420; 02-12-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 PM
No check engine codes.

I've cleaned the IAC before, not too long ago, so Im probably just going to replace it (been meaning to anyway).

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Johngs
No check engine codes.

I've cleaned the IAC before, not too long ago, so Im probably just going to replace it (been meaning to anyway).

Thanks.
Before you do, wait until it dies again, and get out and beat on it with a piece of metal. (wrench, etc.) It fixed mine for a few weeks until I could take it off and clean it.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 AM
I already ordered one, I should be able to replace it by the end of the week, early next week.

Quick Reply: Problems with truck startingstaying running