High RPM hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High RPM hesitation

On my 1998 F150 with a 4.6 Windsor, and 150k.

At high RPM, >4000, in first gear and any other gear the truck accelerates and then seems like it is starved of fuel or air, like I took my foot off the gas and then slammed it back down and it accelerates again. It does this quickly and is very noticeable.

I had the Plugs changed a year ago, 15000 miles ago, injectors cleaned at the dealership, replaced the fuel filter, and put new wires on it too. I had some issues with the EGR but took the throttle body off and cleaned it well, replaced the gasket and put it all back together.

Bad MAF, Vacuum leak, bad plug? Help me....

any suggestions??

Thanks

Old 02-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by h3bubba
On my 1998 F150 with a 4.6 Windsor, and 150k.

At high RPM, >4000, in first gear and any other gear the truck accelerates and then seems like it is starved of fuel or air, like I took my foot off the gas and then slammed it back down and it accelerates again. It does this quickly and is very noticeable.

I had the Plugs changed a year ago, 15000 miles ago, injectors cleaned at the dealership, replaced the fuel filter, and put new wires on it too. I had some issues with the EGR but took the throttle body off and cleaned it well, replaced the gasket and put it all back together.

Bad MAF, Vacuum leak, bad plug? Help me....

any suggestions??

Thanks
Get an edge. Not an Xcal.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Insightful....

A village is missing you somewhere.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Insightful....

A village is missing you somewhere.
Hunh?

Old 02-11-2007, 04:20 PM
No takers?

I do not want to throw parts at this thing and hope it fixes it. Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Coil packs???

Old 02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
you check your blinker fluid? sometimes it leaks into teh intake

Old 02-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like your not getting enough fuel

Old 02-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Put a wet nitrous kit on it.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Hesitation with 1/2 to WOT is usually ignition related. Was in my case. New NGK iridium plugs, new MSD wires, and new MSD "hot" coils. Problems solved forever. Tried MSD wires before and 5 diff kind of plugs with occasional misfires... was driving me nuts. Then did both wires and the two coil packs and it's smooth as silk ever since. Ignition wires only last 2-3yrs so if u got originals it's time to chuck'em. Coil packs can go bad too, especially if you've previously suffered from the water in the plug hole thing on the passenger side. Real hard on the coil to be shorting out all the time. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Those that gave a reasonable response, I thank you.

Those that showed their ignorance and inability to understand the concept of a forum, my hat is off to you as well. I believe that there is a reason for people like you.

Otherwise where would Gore, Kerry and Hillary get their votes.

Uneducated masses that have a herd mentality, like yourselves are interesting to watch.

All you could come up with is blinker fluid and wet nitrous. Very creative indeed. Maybe you should go back to your house and thump your middle finger with a hammer and tell your ponies how much you love them too.

I was hoping to get just a little help as to where to start looking for a solution to my problem. All of the other forums that I belong too are more than helpful and will actual give insightful and intelligent responses and offer advice. Guess I can't expect that from everyone on this site.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those that showed their ignorance and inability to understand the concept of a forum, my hat is off to you as well. I believe that there is a reason for people like you.

Uneducated masses that have a herd mentality, like yourselves are interesting to watch.

All you could come up with is blinker fluid and wet nitrous. Very creative indeed. Maybe you should go back to your house and thump your middle finger with a hammer and tell your ponies how much you love them too.

I was hoping to get just a little help as to where to start looking for a solution to my problem. All of the other forums that I belong too are more than helpful and will actual give insightful and intelligent responses and offer advice. Guess I can't expect that from everyone on this site.

As stated, Id start with ignition first...fuel problems second.
These trucks have d@mn picky ignition setups......they will be the death of me..

Old 02-12-2007, 08:22 PM

Just because you didn't like both of my answers (which would have solved your problem) doesn't mean that you have to get all nasty.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Mine did that for a while (01 F150 4.6 V8) and it turns out it wasn't running on all cylinders! was missfireing (sp.) on 6

Old 02-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I just fixed my problem like yours.. 1997 F150 4x4 5.4, 180k I replaced the #1 coil pack and now it's not stuttering when i give it gas. I read so many forms and it sounds like the problem is all over the engine. Some guys had all the spark plugs and coils replaced but still had problems. I reset my computer so i would not have any old codes that might throw me off. Once I got my fresh code I went to Auto Zone and they told me it was my # 1 missing. I also got my injectors cleaned $40, replaced fuel filter $10, fuel pressure regulator $60, and most IMPORTANT my PBFE (or DBFE something like that) Now it runs like NEW!!!!!! When I replaced the PBFE (or DBFE something like that) it gave me pickup speed that I had being missing in years. Thats what worked for me.

Quick Reply: High RPM hesitation