Spark Plug Tips

Old 02-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Tips

Guys,

It's been awhile since I posted. I traded my F-150 in for an 02 Land Rover Discovery, (still a Ford though )

Anyway, my brother's 97 4.6 is throwing codes P0303 and P0401. We are going to do the plugs and wires and the DPFE sensor. I helped him with the plugs a few years ago and the one on the passenger side rear is a real bear as I recall. That is why I had the shop always do mine. But he is financially strapped. Does anyone have any tips that could help with the removal and install of this plug? Any special tools? Maybe lengths of extensions?

Thanks,

John

Old 02-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

Here ya go ...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ng+spark+plugs

See MattAdams link in there for some pics & stuff...

Cheers
Bubba

Old 02-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 things you can move out of your way to make life a little easier, especially if you have bigger arms.

power steering fluid reservoir and its mounting bracket, once moved reveals an easy shot at the plug under it.

firewall passenger side, you should see the 2 bigger wires (or a box, i lost my cover) move this out of your way and you should get a little more hand room for the last 2 plugs on that side.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Safety tip, disconnect battery when doing this.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the tips. It's been about 3 years since I did this the last time. I didn't really have any issues except for the one under the passenger side firewall. Just have to take my time and should be ok.

Think I'm going to get the ball swivel joint for the socket and a sew different size extensions.

John

Old 02-08-2007, 01:50 PM
do all the stuff listed in the other posts

remove the FI plastic cover
remove the fuse nox cover and disconnect the mounting bolts

the other things I do :
wire the heater hoses out of the way
use a 2 ft long zip tie to make a noose to pull off the plug wires (it helps to remove the locking tab)

the thing that helps me the most

let the air out of the front tires or remove them if you don't have a compressor- it used to take me about 45 minutes to get out the back 2 plug s on the passenger's side- now it takes about 10 minutes, not counting reinflating the tires.

puts the truck at waist level

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Tips