Burned up my '99 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burned up my '99 F-150

Well folks...

Changed the fuel filter last night after I got the SES light (0171 and 0174 codes), which reminded me I hadn't changed the filter in, well, a long time.

Apparently, my mistake was to bleed off the pressure on the system through the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

I d/c'd the battery and I changed out the filter (which was full of crap) and then went inside to eat.

Came out about an hour later and reconnected the battery, shut the hood and then started the engine. It coughed a couple times, then made a good fast idle, which dropped off to normal.

I shut off the engine, and got out of the truck. Closing the door, I noticed a funny smell, like something was hot. While I was trying to figure out what could be causing the smell, I noticed smoke coming out of the hood vents.

Before I could say, "Oh, *****", there was a "pop", and flames shot out of the wheel well on the passenger side. There was quickly a huge amount of smoke.

Having more than a little firefighting training, I knew that all that smoke was telling me to not open that hood. So, I yelled at my wife to call 911, and I moved her Expy away from the F-150. I then sprayed the windshield and hood with the garden hose to keep the heat down and away from the passenger compartment.

Fire Dept. showed up and quickly doused the flames. Had a bear of a time getting the hood open, because the release cable had melted. A fire axe and a Halligan tool did the job. Not like it was going to ruin the hood.

So, anyone need the back half of a (formerly) nice '99 SCAB?

I'd take a picture of what's left under the hood, but it'd break your heart. It has mine.

In retrospect, my advice is to leave the fuel rail pressure relief valve alone. There is no real reason to bleed pressure, since the filter is going to dump several ounces of gas on you anyway.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:59 PM
helpful hint to the next person: take out the fuel pump fuse and start engine. it will die when the pressure is gone and you never touch the schrader valve.

sorry to hear about your terrible evening. insurance going to cover it?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah, $500 deductible.

Hard part is: it was paid off, and is probably only worth $7500, tops.

That leaves a BIG chunk to make up on a new one.

All the trouble I had with it (I think it was built on Monday morning after the Superbowl), I'm reluctant to get another one.

Gotta figure out what to do; what to do.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... The smart thing to do is to put many shop rags around the shrader valve when releasing the fuel pressure. The rags absorb the excess fuel and then you can carry the rags off to a safe place. If you do spill gas then take a small bucket of hot water and pour it around the area the gas spilt. Sorry to hear about your truck. Now thats what you call a learing experience.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that really sucks... must see pictures

Old 02-06-2007, 06:55 PM
i always change the fuel filter after it has been sitting for a few hours. the pressure will have bled of by then.

sorry about the truck though, what are you going to get? a newer style or a 97 - 03 model.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=s1037s]helpful hint to the next person: take out the fuel pump fuse and start engine. it will die when the pressure is gone and you never touch the schrader valve.QUOTE]

I agree. You can also pull the plug on the inertia switch, then reconnect it after you change the filter. The fuse is easier to access though.

Sorry to hear about your truck, that stinks.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks man

I would be mad at myself bigtime if I ever did that I think.

On a side note, whats the point of de-pressurising the system? The last fuel filter that I put on was in a hurry, right after I had just parked the truck. I said F it, truck sat for 3 minutes at the most before I had the older filter off and was putting the new on back one...

Quick Reply: Burned up my '99 F-150