5.4 engine build questions

Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 engine build questions

ok well im pretty new to larger motors. my building skills and knolage are in motorcycle engines. i have a 2005 5.4 boss f15 (non supercharged). i plan on buying a used good running 5.4 out of the same year truck that i want to build and keep my truck running while i do it. id like to make around 650 rwhp (no nitrus only a roush supercharger) i know its posible i have seen it done. what kinda things ill i be needing to do to this engine. what are the best internal and bolt on mods. what are the best places and brands to get rods, heads,cranks etc. im not that stupid at rebuilding a truck engine i juat dont know everything. my goal in this build is to get reliable hp and not having to turn wrenches every day. im not worried about mpg. just reilability. also what kind of maching and matching should i get done. and are ther any good books to read up on. let me know and please nice about it. also what kinda of tranny should i get because im pretty shure a stock one wont hold up at all. thanks

Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wanna be my buddy? lol

fox lake does great head work.
http://foxlakeracing.com/

Mahle / Eagle H beam rod is a proven combo

which tranny do you have now? a shift kit may be able to help you run the stock tranny for a while until you can either build or have one built to handle the power.

if you find books, tell me! im trying to do the same thing. except im swapping out a 4.6 at the same time.

troyer is your friend too, talk to him about the computer end and he also has some other goodies he can interest you in.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol i'm doing the same thing, but all at one time. i ordered up comp cams yesterday, aluminum driveshaft, 42lb injectors, new gears for the rear end, an intercooler for my charger, and i'm looking at getting some heads tomorrow. (I just have to figure out what kind)

You have a boss f-150?

Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
lol i'm doing the same thing, but all at one time. i ordered up comp cams yesterday, aluminum driveshaft, 42lb injectors, new gears for the rear end, an intercooler for my charger, and i'm looking at getting some heads tomorrow. (I just have to figure out what kind)

You have a boss f-150?
talk to troyer, they have a few places they can set ya up with for head work. i just went with www.foxlakeracing.com since i already heard good reviews of their work, plus it sounded like a good deal.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Scrap the aluminum driveshaft. You'll break it, in these heavy trucks. Get yourself a nice chrome moly or heavy duty steel driveshaft. The one I have in my truck was custom fabricated for me. It can handle 1500FT/LBS of TQ. 4 innch diamter all the way through with Spicer "U" joints.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 engine build questions