Shaking truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shaking truck

Hey all. I've been a member for awhile but I've never had a need to post anything until today. I was driving to work when I began to feel the truck shake. I came to a stop light and the truck was shaking. I started driving again and on the gas I could still feel the vibration. Once I got to the next light it just stopped. I have no clue what made it do this and I'm wondering if it's anything serious. I would really appreciate a reply. By the way I have an 06 5.4 L 4x4 with the edge evolution. While I was driving it was on level 3. Thanks in advance for any replys.

Last edited by rsbeachbum2; 02-01-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 AM
The only thing I could think of, is a possible miss on a cylinder, to much fuel with not enough spark or to much spark and not enough fuel something along those lines

Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you happen to wash the engine compartment lately?
you may want to pull the COPs off and put some dilectic (sp?) grease on em, check your plugs while your there. it aughta give you an idea of what one's been miss firing.

it didnt throw a CEL?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 AM
No I haven't rinsed the engine compartment, and I was thinking with that much vibration that the light would come on too.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
How far did you drive with it shaking? I experienced this exact thing yesterday. I pulled over and checked things out, and I decided it was a coil pack that went out on me (first time this has happened to me). The SEL didn't come on untill I pulled into the dealer. Turned out it was the #7 coil pack and plug. After the mechanic replaced it and I recieved the $180 bill , they told me to replace all the spark plugs, since they were pretty worn. (looked like an original plug on a 136k mile engine). I guess worn plugs put a larger load on the COP's.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by 2000Black4x4
How far did you drive with it shaking?
From the time it started until it stopped it was only two blocks. I thought it was strange just coming out of nowhere like that and like I said earlier the light didn't come on. I also have only had the truck a year and it only has 7,800 miles on it.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
my truck does the same on cold days ive had it happen twice i just pull off let it sit for a min and then it quits im not sure what it is but the shaking gets pretty bad

Old 02-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by rsbeachbum2
From the time it started until it stopped it was only two blocks. I thought it was strange just coming out of nowhere like that and like I said earlier the light didn't come on.
It took awhile for my SEL to come on... about 1.5 miles, and that was after I had pulled over for a few minutes to figure out what was causing the shaking.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the tips and help. I plan on going over to 4 wheel parts for the first time tomorrow and it's a little over an hour drive. If it's going to happen again it might happen then. If it does, to the dealership it goes. Man I hate going to my dealership.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
No guarantee that this is your problem, but I'll share this experience - just in case:

While coming home from work one day, my 2002 5.4 SCREW developed a shake/shudder so bad it would barely pull itself along. I never got a CEL, and maintenance (including new plugs) was up to date. Long a story short - I found that the harness going to the crankcase position sensor (directly below the front main bearing) was stretched so tightly across the starter that it had almost came completely unplugged. I re-routed the harness and cleaned and re-connected the plug. No more shudder! My theory (subject to review by someone more familar with OBD II), is that when the eec loses input from the sensor, you lose both spark and fuel and the eec doesn't recognize it as a misfire; hence, no CEL.
At least this is easy to check, and it may save you a trip to the dealer.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 AM
SSP
Hi Guys. As you can see I am brand new to this great forum. I will be picking up my new 07 SCREW in a few weeks. (Already have a roush grill sitting in the garage for my first mod!) Anyway, I had this exact problem with my 02 Sequoia. Turns out it was bad gas. Just added some water remover to the tank and topped it off with fresh gas and the problem went away. I hope your problem is as simple as this.

Good Luck!

Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 PM
I agree with the previous posters, about it being a bad cop, spark plug, or injector. Do whatever it is that makes it shudder, and keep it shuddering until it throws a cel. Until it throws it, you'll just be guessing at what is wrong. Also, if you have a buddy with an Edge, it will read "pending" codes. So even though it actually hasn't lit up the CEL it will still read what is wrong.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
I agree with the previous posters, about it being a bad cop, spark plug, or injector. Do whatever it is that makes it shudder, and keep it shuddering until it throws a cel. Until it throws it, you'll just be guessing at what is wrong. Also, if you have a buddy with an Edge, it will read "pending" codes. So even though it actually hasn't lit up the CEL it will still read what is wrong.
does the edge read all year models, or the specific one for the year model??

Old 02-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by dinty
does the edge read all year models, or the specific one for the year model??
Mine works on every ford vehicle I've tried it on. Even a V10 f250

Old 02-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
Mine works on every ford vehicle I've tried it on. Even a V10 f250
Thanks, the reason Im asking is because a friend of mine has the edge for his 04, and I was wondering if I would be able to read on my 02..

I just bought this truck wednesday and today noticed a stutter...kind of disappointing really. Hoping it's just the cold weather

Quick Reply: Shaking truck