ethanol conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ethanol conversion

what all would i have to do to convert my truck to run on e-85 or 100% ethanol? there's a guy in lynchburg ( home of jack daniel's ) selling stil kits and plans for the stil to make ethanol and if i can make my truck run on it i could make my own,as i have yet to see any e-85 pumps here. leave it to one of us tennessee hillbillies to start sellin stils to make ethanol

Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There was a big controversy over this in the Chips section, but that was for an 04+. I dont think there would be much difference.

The deal is, the guy wanted to do his own tuning for E85 (or maybe it was even 100%), but everyone said it wouldnt work and what not. They believe to be able to support the ethanol, you would need different fuel lines, pumps, yadda yadda. In the end the guy ended up doing his own custom tune for the ethanol, not changing anything else on the truck, and it has been running great for quite a few miles last time he updated.

Remember though, that was an 04+ model truck he did that too. It might be the same, it might be totaly different.
There was a big debate as to whether it would work or not, and there still isnt really any conclusion... However he's been running...as far as long term use...who knows how that could hold up.

I have heard from a very reliable source that these trucks were only able to run on E10.

To sum it up, I really dont think your going to get a definate answer.
Did Ford make a pickup capable of running on E85 in the older models (pre 04)??Im not sure, I dont think they did. If they did though, your best bet would be to find on of those and see whats different.

A custom tune would be a must...from there, who knows.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the name of the guy with the truck is TSchrade or something along those lines, I cant remember exactley. Might be work searching in the Chips section...

Old 01-30-2007, 01:59 PM
yeah,i found their little cat fight,lots of help. i'm not worried about the tune,i can try it and see how it runs and go from there. but it would be nice to get a straight answer on the lines and injectors,i don't see how it would effect the fuel pump but who knows. i want new injectors and i can run braided line and an inline pump,i don't care. if i can make the stuff myself it'd pay for itself many times over with my gas guzzlin truck

Old 01-30-2007, 05:37 PM
theres no performance gain increase just less emissions more internal engine corossion and less mpg.. about 30% less

Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The FFV (flex fuel veh) are setup with additional sensors, some different hardware and a PCM program that shifts a number of program variables to better use E85 fuel.
This makes 'drivability' not power or fuel mileage, about the same as gasoline.
For you to run E85 or straight eth without such benifits as FFV has, may turn out to be less than a good experiece even with the low cost of self made fuel.
Make no mistake it can be done but it's not a laid back deal and easy to do without some changes.
A straight ETH motor would benifit with higher compression and a different ignition curve larger injectors plus other changes.
I have been running race engines on 100% Meth for many years and know what most of the requirement would be.
Good luck.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that replacement parts for F85 factory trucks cost more. Example fuel filter, maybe 5 bucks more than regular filter.

Quick Reply: ethanol conversion