Cold Weather High Pitch Noise

Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Weather High Pitch Noise

I've poked around the forum a bit, and looked at threads about the noise issues...most seem to be fog light related.

Vehicle:

2005 F150 4X4 supercab 44k miles no fog lights....

I get a noise, almost like feedback at 1800 to 2000rpms in subzero weather. I brought it in to the dealer, they said they had one problem last year, and said it was a iced PCV vave. I suppose to bring it back when the only tech that has worked on this will return from vacation. When I inquired at another dealer, they mentioned they also heard of this problem, and said it "could" be a vapor management valve leak....

The first dealer said it'll go away when it warms up....in northern NY that won't be untill April!!!

IF the PCV valve needs replacement, at 44K miles, shouldn't that be a recall type issue, especially when it costs $140, just for the part

Has anyone encountered this?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
140$ pcv valve???? 5$ at autozone. sure you mean pcv?? anyway ford power steering pumps are notorious for squeeling in cold weather startup. my 96 crown vic does it. goes away after 5 mins of drivimg.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 01-29-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
That's what Ford had on their system..$140....something about a heater hose assembly...

I wouldn't pay that anyway...

It's definetly not the P/S pump...it's consistent at highway speeds, 65mph.
If I give it gas, or let up on the gas it stops. I looked for hoses, lines or other things that might not be connected, but so far nothing.

I went through all vacuum related items while driving, it didn't change at all. Tried wipers, looked for debris in the grille, nadda.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I’ve got an 05 FX4 with about 30K.

I’m getting more of a high pitch whine. It only last for 2-5 seconds. I’m not sure if its cold weather related though. It happened once about 2 weeks ago then 2 times last week, and this morning 3 times.

Hit the gas or let off makes no change. Turning the fan on off makes no change. Steering left or right makes no change. Cruise control on or off makes no change. Hell I even checked the radio and still no change. Its not consistant so I can’t find it. By the time I stop the sound is gone.

I’m still under warranty so I’ll be taking it in soon.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont know man lol.usually its belt related when its high pitch annoying squeel like that. see what ford says that what warranty is for..

Last edited by keith97xlt; 01-29-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
I initially thought it was the belt too....this is my fourth Ford truck since 1982, have driven almost 600k miles total in the first three, and have been through what should be every "wearing part" issue there is....(I'm sure there's more )

It's not the belt.

From what the first dealer (where I purchased the truck) said, condensation from the crankcase freezes in the PCV, creating a small orafice where it'll make the noise at certain pressures.....(sounds good?!)....since it's been well below freezing for weeks, I won't know if it is the exact cause until it warms up.

The second shop thought it could be a "vapor management valve".....in the location of the noise...behind the motor. In any case it sounds pressure-vacuum related. I'm at a loss....

I have an extended warranty untill 75k....

Hopefully someone will give more ideas as to the cause....

Old 01-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

There has been some discussion on this as of recent and I'm still a believer that it is the IAC. Mine does it right around 1500-1600, constant throttle....let off and it immediately goes away. I'd say start there...

Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 PM
OK will do....I just spoke with our fleet mechanics..should have done that first!.....they mentioned that this was an issue in the ast but they (Ford) was supposed to put some type of insulation on the PCV assembly....he gave me some "Dragon Fire" carb cleaner, said to flush it out.

I'll do that first, then check the IAC....(wherever that's located!)....I'll inform all of the outcome.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions thus far!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 PM
High Pitch Noise at 1800 rpm

2005 Ford F-150 Flareside

I have a high pitch noise at 1800 rpm and goes away when I step on it or slow down. If I kept the rpm at 1800, it would squeal continuously. Notice it worse in cold weather -20 C. and thereabouts.

Anyone found the source of this yet or a solution?

Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Dealer found my problem

I started getting the same kind of high pitched wine when the temps drop a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the dealer and the driveline tech knew what it was right away. They replaced the alternator and it's fixed. I would hear the sound a little at lower speeds but always and 54mph and 61mph. I would have to hold it at one of those speeds for a second or two and then I would start hear it. As soon as I let up or accelerated it would go away.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by R1Jester
There has been some discussion on this as of recent and I'm still a believer that it is the IAC. Mine does it right around 1500-1600, constant throttle....let off and it immediately goes away. I'd say start there...
I have this exact problem in the 1800-2000 RPM range. It is throttle related because the noise goes away when you let off the throttle. Has anyone found the cure?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Judging from my truck, I'm sure its the air intake! It sucks up air from a hole on the driverside and at 1800-2000 rpm its makes like a small whistle sound. Mine did it stock and now with the aftermaket intake its even louder! And like you said at 1800 rpm its steady whistling high pitch sound; i'm 90% thats what your hearing! I'll film it with and without the aftermarket intake (stock is just a little bit more quiet)and you'll hear it for yourself but all I know is that its not harmful for nothing! I know for sure its the intake or maybe throttle body. Don't worry and don't call it a problem lol!!!

Last edited by 07F150OAKLEY; 02-08-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
The only that doesn't explain is why this only happens in cold weather. In warm weather you would still have the same amount of air entering the intake. I've read the PCV explanations and that seems reasonable, but I don't know if that is the problem for sure. I also don't know if there is a fix.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Mine does it in the summertime too maybe you just didnt notice it!?!?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Adkleaddog
That's what Ford had on their system..$140....something about a heater hose assembly...

I wouldn't pay that anyway...

I don't think you have a PCV valve if it's a V8 - It would help if you post what engine we're talking about here - Must be a V8, that's why it cost so much/ different type system.

Heated PCV assembly-

Last edited by jbrew; 02-11-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Weather High Pitch Noise