EGR valve need help

Old 01-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR valve need help

HEy guys i have a1999 f150 xl 2wd v6 4.2L. My sevice engine light is on and thats is the second time its on the first time i took it to my mechanic he said is was EGR valve so i replaced it payed $150. Now the light is on again and my technician said it was Valve again. I'm trying to save some money by doing it my self. If anyone could please tell me where it is located and some tips how to do it. Please

Old 01-28-2007, 11:33 PM
I doubt it's the valve. There is a sensor called the DPFE sensor. It measures all of the EGR stuff. Im not sure where it is on your motor but I reckon it's somewhere near the EGR valve. There will be 2 vaccum hoses comming from it.

If that happends not to be it, your throttle body needs a good cleaning. I had the same issues with the EGR codes, turns out my ports in my TB were completely PACKED with carbon. I'm a little more prone to that problem though because the 4.6's(my motor) are known to build up more carbon than any other.

I didn't really answer your question but I would recommend trying either of these 2 things before putting another valve on. Good luck

Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 PM
thx

Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
I doubt it's the valve. There is a sensor called the DPFE sensor. It measures all of the EGR stuff. Im not sure where it is on your motor but I reckon it's somewhere near the EGR valve. There will be 2 vaccum hoses comming from it.

If that happends not to be it, your throttle body needs a good cleaning. I had the same issues with the EGR codes, turns out my ports in my TB were completely PACKED with carbon. I'm a little more prone to that problem though because the 4.6's(my motor) are known to build up more carbon than any other.

I didn't really answer your question but I would recommend trying either of these 2 things before putting another valve on. Good luck
yeah i cleaned it out twice already but the light came back on

Old 01-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Welllllll, your guys havn't really told you much of anything yet.
There are many codes that refer to the EGR system.
What code is it; then you go for the fix.
The codes are not that componant specific.....yet!
Example: EGR has an EVR control valve, a DPFE, pipeing, hoses, porting etc. Any part of the system can be a problem. That's why there are specific codes to give clues.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Go to autozone, not a mechanic. Have them pull the codes from your check engine light. Get them to print out the codes, come here and post them. Or you could do a search on them. That will be your best bet.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
Go to autozone, not a mechanic. Have them pull the codes from your check engine light. Get them to print out the codes, come here and post them. Or you could do a search on them. That will be your best bet.

Just don't let the monkeys at AZ try to do anything other than read the codes, for example, to try to diagnose the actual fault.

EGR valves rarely fail. Unfortunately, you've been wasting your money.

Once you have the code(s), use the SEARCH tool to find previous discussions. You'll find at least one that is dscussed every week...(where's the proper implementation of an FAQ when you need one?)

Steve

Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
egr valves rarely fail.sometimes you have to clean out the ports. most emissions parts last the life of the truck.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:27 AM
As you can see, I haven't posted at this site yet but I visit it often. I had the same problem with my 99 Expy w/5.4 and it turned out to be the DPFE valve. Appears to be a common problem based on info all over the internet. Also cheaper than the EGR valve. At Autozone it is called the EGR valve control sensor. I learned that you can test the EGR valve by placing a hose (I used a straw) on the nipple and sucking while the engine is running. The engine should stumble or quit if the EGR is working properly.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 PM
thnx

hey thank you guys for yalls help, ill probably go to AZ and see what the deal is, i just hope i dont have to replace that valve again and waste my money. So thanks again

Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by musicccguy
hey thank you guys for yalls help, ill probably go to AZ and see what the deal is, i just hope i dont have to replace that valve again and waste my money. So thanks again

Since it probably wasn't bad the first time, why would you even think about replacing it again?

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR valve need help