Friend just lost #4 cyl. 97 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Friend just lost #4 cyl. 97 4.6L

Hello, i havent been on the boards in quite some time. A friend of mine just bought a 97 expy with the 4.6L engine with 95,000 miles on it. He didnt even have it a week when the engine went on him. The garage said that it burned a hole in #4 cylinder due to antifreeze in the plug hole. Now i remember when i was frequenting these boards sometime ago there was alot of talk about this subject and i even warned him about it the day he bought the truck but i cant remember specifics.
I have done a search but cant find too much in relevance to this problem. I would like as much info as possible and links to old posts on this subject so i can give him it. Also, was there ever a recall on this matter?

Thank you!
Otterbob

Old 01-31-2007, 09:29 AM
my 97 had a problem with filling the #4 hole with a/f and i thought it was a heater hose leaking right above the plug. when i swapped motors and pulled the intake, i found that the intake gasket was seeping right into the plug well.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Ok he put a new intake and gaskets on it taking care of the antifreeze leak. New injector, plug, wire, and coil. However he is still getting a misfire on #4. Any ideas? He said compression checked out ok.?

Old 02-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Is the plug getting spark? Even though they are new, the plug or plug wire may be defective or he might not have a good connection at the ignition module.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by mccrick
Is the plug getting spark? Even though they are new, the plug or plug wire may be defective or he might not have a good connection at the ignition module.
He says yes getting spark. Last i knew he was goin to try another wire and plug. It is an intermittent misfire, but always kicks out a code for #4 misfire when it happens. According to him, everything possibly to do with ignition has been changed except the ECU.

Quick Reply: Friend just lost #4 cyl. 97 4.6L