Most difficult oil change of my life

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Most difficult oil change of my life

I just finished the first oil change on my 07 5.4 last night. Now let me clarify that I am never going to win any awards for mechanical aptitude, but with that said I have been changing my own oil for 10 years on many different vehicles and I'd like to think I've got the process down pat. My F-150 proved me wrong.

In the "what were they thinking?" category.....
  • What kind of a location is that for an oil filter? There is no good way to get at if from the top or the bottom! From the bottom, I can get my hands on the filter, but with my trusty channel-lock pliers that have never failed me before, there were only two scenarios. Scenario #1 - Good grip with the channel-lock pliers but no room to turn, or scenario #2 - room to maneouvre the pliers but terrible grip on the filter.
  • Similar to the above question, why would they not design the filter so that the oil "drips" close to the same location as from the oil pan? In every other vehicle I have owned, I could use one oil pan to catch drips from both sources. Not so on this truck.
  • Why do they let Hercules install the oil filters at the factory?

2 hours after starting the job, I completed my first oil change on this truck. After resigning myself to the fact that there was no way I was getting the filter off with my pliers or hands, I went back to the fail-safe hammer and screwdriver. Even that proved to be difficult.

From the bottom, I got the screwdriver into the filter but had no room to turn it. So I changed the angle of the screwdriver to give me a little maneouvrability, but this resulted in such a poor turning angle on the filter that I actually ended up bending the screwdriver instead of turning the filter.

Finally, I remove the air intake to give me a little room to work, and attacked with my screwdriver from above. I punched a hole through, turned the filter an inch (all I had room for), pulled my screwdriver out, punched a new hole in, and then repeated the process 4 times before I was able to loosen the filter enough to get it off with my hands.

The old filter looked like roadkill by the time I finally removed it. Thankfully, the rest of the job went without a hitch.

Phew! My first oil change complete.......I can't wait for the next one!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Many on here read about the problem and made sure the dealer did the first change. That filter was installed by a super robot with no lube. That is why my dealer does all my oil changes. They only charge $28 and send me coupons that take it down to $19.95. I can't mess with it for that price.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:12 PM
That does suck!!!!!!! I have an '01 and it looks like the filter is easy to get to, but as bluejay stated I have the dealer do mine for two reasons.... 1. they are located right next to my office and 2. they charge $21.95 and for the price of oil and a filter, it costs me about $3 for labor

Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 PM
All you need is the right filter wrench, and the job is easy.

While you're buying that wrench, get one of these, also.....

Last edited by Kool Aid; 01-24-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Hmmmm......I'm gonna have to find one of those filter wrenches. Thanks for the picture.

Originally Posted by Kool Aid
All you need is the right filter wrench, and the job is easy.

While your buying that wrench, get one of these, also.....

Old 01-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find the cup style, that fits over the end of the filter works better. That plus a ratchet and 10" extension works quite well.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Mine couldn't be easier. It is mounted vertically, right beside the left cat. (or where the cat is supposed to be. I always tighetn them as tight as I can get them, and I almost never need a wrench to get them back off. I also fill my filter with oil before I install it. Maybe you should relocate the filter. Or buy a larger one, so that you don't have to change it as often.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I really do think that more and more, vehicles are engineered to be serviced ONLY at the stealership.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a 10-year old design... I don't see them changing it at this point.

As was already mentioned, the first filter is always a pain. The machinery runs it down without any oil on the seal, and it's the sticky seal that makes it impossible to remove the first time. Lube the seal with a dab of the old or new oil, and you'll never have that problem again.

For removal, I use a strap wrench with a flexible handle, or a cap wrench. I have yet to have a problem. (Even the first one came off without stabbing it)

-Joe

Old 01-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like its time for a filter relocation kit :P

Old 01-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Kool Aid
While you're buying that wrench, get one of these, also.....

yeah, then when your enemies find out you have this quick drain you will have a new engine to purchase

Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by s1037s
yeah, then when your enemies find out you have this quick drain you will have a new engine to purchase
Yeah, or when you ride through some bushes, or cotton stalks...

Old 01-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Use an end cap wrench and a 3/8 socket wrench with no extension. lay on the gound with your head at the drivers side front tire and reach up with your right hand. plenty of room.

As for the fumoto valve listed above. I have had one on my truck for 5 years (And all of our CAT excavators have them too they come from the factory that way) and I put my truck through hell I have packed the bottom with rocks mud logs etc and it has never ever even come close to opening.

Heck I even put one on my wife's minivan and she got in an accident and tore the oil pan open and the valve still didn't open!!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Syuck Oil Filter

the best method I have found for removing really stuck oil filters is to wrap very coarse 1" wide emery cloth around the filter. grip if for all you got and twist

i always put a very light coating of silicone brake grease on the gasket. then then the filter can be removed by hand

Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Fumoto valve, eh?

That's a clever idea....might almost make it worth doing it yourself, although we have these quick while you wait oil places, and they're hard to beat price or convenience-wise, although they do use the bulk oil....still, my F-150's hardly my pride-and-joy, and it's hard to motivate oneself when it's -15C or so....

I always used a little gp automotive grease on my oil filter seals....Prefilling the filter's not a bad idea, if you can keep it vertical.
The thing I wonder is, how do dealers and Ford, et al, regard home oil changes in terms of warranty?

Last edited by pjb999@yahoo.co; 01-25-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Most difficult oil change of my life