Oil changes and warranty

Old 01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil changes and warranty

hey guys - i have read that when something goes bad on F150s and the owners bring their trucks in for work under the warranty, the dealerships sometimes make them produce proof the oil has been changed according to schedule as a way out of paying for the work if the owners don't have the proof. i don't know how common this is but i was just curious. i plan on getting my first oil change at the dealer (let him get the filter off) and then doing them myself as i don't want to have to keep putting the stock air intake back on the truck every 5k to get it service at the dealership.

So is it enough to keep the receipts of the oil that I buy or are they going to want to see a receipt from someone who actually chaged the oil or is it all just a strong arm BS tactic????

any info is appreciated. thanks!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Keep all oil and filter receipts, keep a log with mileage & dates changed and you are ok. My truck went in for cam phaser and lifter warranty work last summer and I had my file with me. Service advisor asked me about regular oil changes and when I said I do it myself with Mobil 1 and Motorcraft filters he told that to the Service manager and head engine tech who pulled the dipstick and said "its clean". No more questions and I never showed them any records.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by bogman
No more questions and I never showed them any records.
I'm glad, cause that would be total bull****. They would never have the audacity to make you PROVE you changed the oil.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:38 AM
I keep the receipts just to avoid arguments. A lot of the service directors and managers are paid salary and commission so warranty don't do much for the commission/bonus.

I consider it insurance to keep the warranty intact.

If they try telling you you must use ford parts to keep the warranty intact just ask then to go to the internet and pull up the Magnusson Moss act. In short it means that if a car company dictates that you must use only OE parts they must givre them to you and can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that an aftermarket parts caused or contributed to a failure.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by bogman
No more questions and I never showed them any records.

I'm glad, cause that would be total bull****. They would never have the audacity to make you PROVE you changed the oil.
I tell ya why I am gun-shy on this topic, a friend had/has a Tundra, about 15 months in with something like 35k miles, the motor locked up. He had done his own oil changes too. The dealer inspected the motor and replacement was apparently the only option, but, when asked to verify he had complied with the recommended maintenance schedule, his dumbass had not saved the receipts. He could not establish to any degree of certainty he had kept the engine properly maintained, they denied the warranty. He obviously was pissed and sent the claim up the corporate ladder to no avail. That truck is still sitting in his backyard while he continues to pay off the loan and is nothing more than a large yard ornamnet. A sad story for sure so believe me I will definately be keeping a log and receipts just in case.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Saving a few pieces of paper is not that hard.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
There is an online maintenance record provided by Ford called My Ford. I enter the info there for every thing I do on my truck. It even has a spot to indicate if it was done by self. Then I keep an envelope for my receipts in the glove box. Not that hard. There is also a maintenance service offered for a fee by a vendor on this site.

The address for My Ford is below.
https://myford.fordvehicles.com/serv...ord%3D15419550

Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Its not a normal practice. Atleast for Ford. If there is some idea that a lack of oil changes may have caused a certain problem. Like if your oil is blacker than Aunt Jemima ***, then they may ask for service records. But i have never seen it happen.

The aftermarket extended warrantys are what you wanna be wary of. I had customer that had a valve seal go bad and kill one of his cylinders in an explorer at 50k. The warranty company sent out an inspector who concluded that it was due to a "lack of fuel system maintenance". Now we argued and fought the company and got it coverd due to the fact that it says nowhere in the manual anything about fuel system maintenance. But still. It was one hell of a hassle..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil changes and warranty