Engine Drop in quote

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Drop in quote

If I got all the parts necessary to build the engine, how much do you all think it I would be charged to have someone put th engine together and install it.

It would be a 4.2 v6 to a 5.0 gt 40 v8.

All help is appreciated.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
any ideas

anybody

Old 01-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Alot. Sorry, I know you were looking for a number, but I can't even begin to guess. You're looking at TONS of custom fabrication, everything from engine and tranny mounts to electrical wiring and engine management. Even if you go with an old school carb and tranny, no electronics, you're still looking at major work, and will have something that doesn't work as well as what you have. Remember pumping the gas during cold startup? Remember even worse fuel milege than you get know? Remember stuck float bowls and setting the timing by hand? Remember rejetting the carb anytime you did any real change to the intake or exhaust? Remember never actually getting the a/f's truelly right at all rpm's because you always have to compromise with a carb?

All that said, I think you are looking at major bucks. However, if you feel you absolutely, really do want to do this, start combing the internet search engines. You might just get lucky and find a shop that specializes in doing a modular motor to pushrod style motor swaps. They would probably give you the best deal...even if they didn't, at least you would have some peace of mind that it was done right.

On a side note, and sorry, I know I'm ranting...but imagine going to the parts store or a mechanic next time it breaks down. You have a what year truck with a what engine?!?!? Have fun finding out what parts fit. If you did the swap yourself, at least you would know what you did. Paying someone else leaves a big guessing game in my opinion.

Honestly, for the money you would spend to get this done you could have a seriously built 5.4 liter w/ super or turbo charger. It would keep all the drive-abilty of your current machine, just mucho faster.

Sorry for the rant. Do your thing man, whatever it is. I will admit the setup you mentioned would be neat to see. However, using that as a daily driver seems nuts to me. It is something I would expect to see at a car show, not in the engine bay of the guy I park next to at work.

Good luck!

Mike

Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 PM
the v6 is a pushrod as well. Thanks for the info but I believe all that will be needed would be new engine mounts and a new computer from an old 5.0. I imagine the wiring would pretty much connect.

I am only asking about the build and drop in because I don't have the tools or the place to do it while I'm in school.

I also only plan to do this when I motor needs replaced.

Thanks for all the help though.

Quick Reply: Engine Drop in quote