Releasing Fuel Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Releasing Fuel Pressure?

Hey guys, quick question.

Do I have to disconnect the fuel shutoff switch behind the kick panel and cycle the engine, like I did on my 99 Ranger, prior to changing my fuel filter?
'04 5.4 screw. Or does it get released when you pull up on the tab at that blue clip?

Thanks for helping, I don't feel like a gas bath today..........

Jeff

Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
In engine compartment on driver's side upper side on firewall is a green plastic cap about 1/2 inch diam. Remove cap and press the pin in the Schrader valve to release fuel pressure, catch the little fuel discharge in a rag. Do a search, somebody posted pix a year or two ago.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always found it easy enough to yank the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for a few seconds. It doesn't take much to relieve the pressure, and I'm not a fan of spraying gas over the engine compartment either.

-Joe

Old 01-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Good point on fuel spray on a hot engine, not a pretty picture. I have only done it with a cold engine so pressure was low and just a few dribbles of fuel on a rag. That is how that thread a while back said to do it and for good reason.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by bogman
In engine compartment on driver's side upper side on firewall is a green plastic cap about 1/2 inch diam. Remove cap and press the pin in the Schrader valve to release fuel pressure, catch the little fuel discharge in a rag. Do a search, somebody posted pix a year or two ago.

WRONG! Ignore this...

That grea plastic cap is the service port for the evaporative emissions system. It should have an identifying tag on it.

You have this port confused with the Schraeder valve for the fuel rail...

Steve

Old 01-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Got er done! Thanks everybody!!!!

Seems to run A LOT smoother.........

Jeff

Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 AM
projectSHO89:

I referred to the GREEN plastic cap on the driver's side firewall that covers the Schrader valve and there is a white tag on a hose connected to it. A GRAY cap is on the passenger side and down lower - is that what you are referring to? Please reply so I am not confused and I certainly don't want to post incorrect advice.

Thanks,
Da Bogman

Quick Reply: Releasing Fuel Pressure?