What's a plug working it's way out sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's a plug working it's way out sound like?

I know I'm getting horrendous misfiring that goes away after the truck fully warms up. Unfortunately I only live 4 miles from work so it's after I pull into work or the house before it runs properly.

I just replaced all the plugs with Motorcrafts about 150 miles ago and a few days ago I'm getting the misfires. I'm reading that a plug fixing to blow sounds like exhaust ticking.

I'm not sure if I hear it or not, everything sounds fairly normal. How loud would it be? Can I hear it from inside the cabin, outside the truck, hood raised or ear next to the head?

New COPs are on the way but in the meantime I wanted to make sure. I want to park the truck until the COPs get in but the weather's bad so I'm not fond of riding in cold rain and my Miata's water pump crapped out and I'm in the middle of replacing that.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check and retorque again. i heard it sounds like ticking also.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Was it misfiring before you changed the plugs?

Last edited by jbrew; 01-19-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It sounds like an exhaust leak. Like a leaking exhaust manifold gasket or broken manifold studs.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:09 PM
I read alot of misfires..... makes me want to flip the COPS over and just used one foot long sparkplug leads. That way a timing light could be hook up and you could check each cylinder.

Better yet it would allow you to run 8 MSD blaster coils

That's sounds so simple I think I've earned myself a beer or two

Old 01-19-2007, 05:30 PM
i think that deserves a beer. may have one just for reading that post. always looking for an excuse.

i took out one plug to check it. put it back in torquing it to hand tight with an average sized ratchet. a few weeks after i started hearing wut i thought was an exhaust leak. still ticks until the truck is warmed up. this would give me an excuse to get some long tubes but i dont want to have to go through all that right now. you think retourquing that plug would fix my problem even thought the tick goes away after the truck warms up?

Old 01-19-2007, 05:38 PM
If it goes away when warmed up then it's not a plug, maybe exhaust leak, piston slap, cam chain, or emission air pump???

Old 01-19-2007, 05:42 PM
i thought as much. my manifolds do look pretty bad. back most hangers have rusted through and broken. guess its time for a new exhaust. was really wantin long tubes and a borla anyway. thanks for the quick reply.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Was it misfiring before you changed the plugs?
I did when I first bought the truck (used) because the dealer detailed under the hood. That went away after about 150 miles of driving the the code cleared itself and I've put at least 2K miles on it trouble free.

This just started up about 100 or so miles after I changed the plugs; the truck ran really smooth and got good gas mileage. When I replaced the plugs I noticed that some of the wires at the bottom of the COP were cracked but I just gooped a ton of dielectric grease on them hoping they'd hold for a few thousand miles since I didn't order new COPs.

So now the new COPs are in the mail.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesse H
I did when I first bought the truck (used) because the dealer detailed under the hood. That went away after about 150 miles of driving the the code cleared itself and I've put at least 2K miles on it trouble free.

This just started up about 100 or so miles after I changed the plugs; the truck ran really smooth and got good gas mileage. When I replaced the plugs I noticed that some of the wires at the bottom of the COP were cracked but I just gooped a ton of dielectric grease on them hoping they'd hold for a few thousand miles since I didn't order new COPs.

So now the new COPs are in the mail.

Cracked wires on the COP ? Do you mean before the connector, plug ?

Quick Reply: What's a plug working it's way out sound like?