Whistle problem log

Old 01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whistle problem log

Hey guys. I haven't been here in quite a few years, 6 to be exact. I've searched and haven't found anything useful related to the more than annoying whistle noise during cold weather.
In an attempt to document the variables that may be contributing to this problem I thought I'd start a new thread.
Please let me know if this is too redundant or if I should refer to a different thread. I wasn't able to find one that had just the necessary information that I'm looking for. Or if someone does have the definitive answer please let me know!
To all those that experience this embarrassing problem, please list just the following:
1. Year
2. Model
3. Engine size
4. Type of intake system
5. Temperature when problem happens

My hope is to be able to determine what it is, by eliminating what it isn't.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Better yet, why not post what your problem is along with your year, make, and model, and let us make some suggestions.

There are a LOT of things that can whistle under even more different conditions. We can't offer a solution if we don't know the problem.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:38 PM
My Lightning does that. Whistle from about 42-44 mph, then again at about 59-60 mph, but only at part throttle...JUST maintaining speed. It will still whistle if I give it a little bit of throttle, say, 10-15% throttle input, but goes away with more than that (and the blower starts to whine a little). Seems to do it ONLY in cold weather, say, colder than 25 degs F. Did it this morning on the way to work, again when I went to lunch and again when I came home...high today was 30 and that was about 3 pm. Mine is bone stock .

Old 01-16-2007, 10:53 PM
There is a possibility you have a loose connection in ur intake tube. When you go under WOT it sucks it's self close. Try checking those connections,

Old 01-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I remember a fairly recent thread stating that it could quite possibly be the IAC. I'd try cleaning that out very well and see where that gets you....if you haven't already.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:13 AM
I have an 05 screw with a 5.4. I experience the exact whistle that cookie monster is talking about.today it was about -1 degree out and the whistle was very loud. If anyone has an idea of what this could be it would be great. By the way the whistle was still there even after about 15 miles.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:46 AM
I got it too man, same boat too, no true fix, but good suggestions. The problem has gone away for now mostly, but was bad about a year ago.

2000 F-150 reg cab flareside 4x4, 5.4 auto, stock intake with K&N filter and the temperature has never mattered much, but does happen moreso during the winter.

I'm going to replace the idler pulley and/or the tensioner pulley and see if that rids me of the whistle. I have done near everything else, PCV's, IAC's even a new filter, belt, switching to e-fans (suspected clutch or fan) all nope! I call the whistle my supercharger, hey why not have fun with it till it's solved.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:45 AM
My cousin had a similar problem a couple years ago... Here's what i found in his service history:

Cust Comments: 3 36 DIAG ON HIGH PITCH WHISTING SOUND FROM MIRROR AT FREEWAY SPEEDS
Tech Comments: TEST DROVE VERIFIED CONCERN RAN OASIS FOUND SSM 17309 REMOVED BOTH FOG LIGHTS APPLIED CLOSED CELL FOAM AROUND LIGHTS AND REINSTALLED. TEST DROVE AND VERIFIED REPAIR 110 17309 SSM

So, I ran the SSM number through OASIS and found this SSM:

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 17309
MESSAGE TITLE: 2004 F-150 - WHISTLING NOISE FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE ABOVE 50 MPH

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2004 TRUCK : 00029 F-SERIES LD

OASIS MESSAGE :
SOME 2004 F-150 VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A HIGH PITCHED WHISTLING NOISE FROM THE
FRONT OF THE VEHICLE WHEN TRAVELING 50 MPH OR HIGHER. THIS NOISE MAY BE
NOTICED MORE WITH THE DRIVER'S WINDOW DOWN 1 TO 2 INCHES. THIS NOISE MAY BE
CAUSED BY WIND INTERFERENCE AROUND THE EDGES OF THE FOG LAMPS. TO SERVICE,
CONFIRM SOURCE OF NOISE BY COVERING THE GAP BETWEEN THE BUMPER AND THE FOG
LAMPS WITH TAPE. IF NOISE IS GONE, REPAIR BY PLACING A STRIP OF CLOSED CELL
FOAM (FOUND IN THE ROTUNDA SQUEAK AND RATTLE KIT 164-R4900) BETWEEN THE OUTER
PERIMETER OF THE FOG LAMPS AND THE INSIDE EDGE OF THE BUMPER.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
701000 NVH WINDNOISE
702000 NVH OTHER NOISE CONCERNS
702100 NVH NOISE CONCERN -- FRONT
702300 NVH NOISE CONCERN -- PASSENGER COMPARTMENT
703200 NVH VIBRATION - ACCELERATION
703300 NVH VIBRATION - CRUISE
703400 NVH VIBRATION - DECELERATION

Don't know if your problem might be the same, but it may be worth a shot... should only take 10 minutes and some masking tape to verify the problem.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:35 AM

I have a 2004 with 5.4...And I have the exact same prob. Mine is whistling when its cold only ( -1 to -15 Deg Celsius ) and when the Throttle is constant at around 5 to 10% and at low speed ( so has nothing to do with wind noise) and it cures it when I give her some....
Someone tell me how to stop it completely please. I'm about to install a cold air intake to fix this.
Is anyone with a cold air intake experience this prob?

Old 01-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Be advised too that mine for instance does it parked, raising the revs to anywhere from 1600 to 2100 usually, that's the sweet spot for the noise. Also, any weather, temp etc. makes a difference, not much. I hear alot of 04/05 trucks having the whistle only driving and it's foglites I guess now, mirrors and windshield too, all at wiinter temps.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:39 PM
I've had this problem with my 2004 SCREW for the past two years. I've taken it to the dealer and they too have heard it, but have no idea what's causing it . . . They've also had another truck in to the shop with the same problem and have replaced the belt, idler pulley, tensioner and water pump on that one with no success. They told me they're waiting for Ford Canada to give them a solution and aren't going to randomly replace any more parts. The problem is best described as a howling/moaning sound or the sound that a wine glass makes when you run your finger around the rim, it occurs between 1600 and 1800 RPM and will do it in park or nuetral in the driveway if you rev to that range, as well as at various speeds in all gears at that RPM range. The colder the weather, the louder the noise, it's not from the radio, fans, gates or the passenger, and is loud as hell outside the cab . . . this is the noise I've got anyway so if anybody's got the same thing and a solution pops up please post as soon as possible 'cause it's really starting to grate on my nerves.
2004 SCREW Lariat 4x4

Old 02-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by BigKahuna
snip... this is the noise I've got anyway so if anybody's got the same thing and a solution pops up please post as soon as possible 'cause it's really starting to grate on my nerves.
2004 SCREW Lariat 4x4
I've got something you can try: If it always does it at one particular RPM range, remove the belt and start the motor (turn off all you electrical accessories and don't try and drive it). If it makes the noise, it's got nothing to do with the accessory drive, so looking at anything with a pulley is a waste of time. If it doesn't make the noise, it's something with a pulley attached to it.

That the quick and dirty way to narrow it down to either an accessory or an engine issue.

-Joe

Old 02-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Heres another whistling TSB that might be of some help. -

A/C - Whistling Noise When Driving With A/C OFF
Article No.

^ AIR CONDITIONING - "WHISTLING" NOISE HEARD
WHILE DRIVING WITH A/C OFF AT SPEEDS
ABOVE 64 KM/H (40 MPH)
^ NOISE - "WHISTLING" HEARD WHILE DRIVING
WITH A/C OFF AT SPEEDS ABOVE 64 KM/H (40
MPH)
LIGHT TRUCK:

ISSUE
A whistling" noise may be heard while driving with A/C in the Off position at speeds above 64 km/h (40 mph) on some vehicles. This may be caused by an air leak at an Instrument Panel (IP) grommet.
ACTION
Seal the IP grommet with Butyl Sealer. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Verify concern.

2. Loosen IP and position away to access IP grommet (Figure 1). Refer to appropriate Workshop or Service Manual for details (IP can be loosened and positioned back slightly; it does not have to be fully removed).
3. Install a small amount of Butyl Sealer (F8AZ-19554-CA) in IP grommet (Figure 1). Use enough sealer to seal gap with P installed.
4. Reinstall IP.
5. Verify repair.
PART NUMBER PART NAME

F8AZ-19554-CA Butyl Sealer
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

991208A Seal Instrument Panel 3.3 Hrs.
Grommet
(F-Series/Expedition)

991208B Seal Instrument Panel 4.5 Hrs.
Grommet (Navigator)
DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
78044H32 07
OASIS CODES: 208000, 208999, 701000, 702300

Old 02-03-2007, 06:24 PM
I have the same problem with my 03. it is about minus 25 out now and it was getting really bad almost like a screaming noise it would go away after about ten or fifteen minutes. Sometimes it would go away while driving under 1000 rpms but then would return after pulling away from stop sign about 1800 2000 rpm. after the ten to fifteen minutes it would go until the next cold morning. I replaced the altenator and that fixed it. Seems as though the bearings have issues with cold weather on some. No Noise now. It stumped me for awhile but all good now

Old 02-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Mine does it too and I think I found the source. I have a 2001 f-150 with the 4.6. Today the high was 14 F outside and my truck was whistling while it was in park, which usually never happens. I usually only get the whistle while driving on a cold day. Anyways, I popped the hood and the noise on mine is coming from the fan clutch. Not sure what's in the fan clutch that can whistle, but I'm 99% sure thats where it's comin from. Once the outside temp warms up above freezing, I never hear it again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whistle problem log