cold starting noises

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold starting noises

My truck makes a similar noise when real cold, about zero to 15 or so.

As describe in this post http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ng-problem.html

But it only lasts for about 2 seconds at most I would say vs.30 seconds, just when you first turn it over.

If I plug the block heater in it does not do it.

Mine did it again today for about 3 seconds or so, it is 5 F out.

Also my dad has the same truck and his did not make any noises.
Both sat for the same amount of time.

Any one else experience this noise?

Anybody know what it might be/ how to fix it if there is a fix?

I know that some noise is normal when it is really cold out, but why would mine do it and mine dads not?

thanks for any help

06 F150 5.4 1,900 miles.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:21 AM

***bump***

Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 AM
I have also had a few noises at start up when the temp has been below freezing. It only makes the noise for a second; three at the most. It sounds like a power steering pump that is low on fluid and you are making a hard turn. Could it be the fan clutch? I really have no idea.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Mine makes noise every morning when I start it up, temp is around -30C. Goes away once it warms up a little. Just that the oil is thick and doesnt circulate too well at first. You can switch to a lighter oil 5W instead of 10W during the winter. Power steering is also a little stiff at first too, the trans is a little sluggish when I first put in drive. But dont worry about it, its not hurting anything

Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 PM

Fan clutch it could be...have heard that one before.

Anyone else?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2007, 01:22 PM

Question Update

Well I went to the dealer yesterday to get some free oil change coupons and I asked my service adviser about the noise. And this is what he told me. That Ford knows about the noise on cold start up at 5f or below. He said that their have been a lot of trucks in lately with it being so cold with the noise. Said that Ford knows about the noise but does not know what the noise is being produced from or have a fix yet. Then I told him that my truck makes the noise and my dad’s truck does not, he looked at me like I was speaking in a different language . Said that’s weird and that my dads truck will probably start to make the noise too….I thought ya right. Then said that their “service guys” think that it is something to do with the PVC something or another. Could it?

I forgot to ask him if it could have been the fan cultch though. Do they make noise?
But it sounds like a load of BS to me with ford knowing about it and everything…and with his response when I told him about my dad’s truck not doing it.

The Stealership is moving at the end of the month and is already laying people off, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it???

Old 01-18-2007, 08:31 PM
starter rattling

I live in PhX,AZ and when it gets cold (relatively speaking in AZ that is less than 40) my starter rattles for about 2 seconds. This happens only about every 2 years.

I take off the starter an regrease the planetary reduction gears and the bendix shaft. The grease dries out due to the heat and when it gets cold it gets sticky.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
I know this noise, it's like a "errrrrrrrrrrrerrrerrrrrrerrrrrrer" for a few seconds. The colder it is the longer it lasts. I've popped the hood before while it was doing it, but it was so loud I couldn't pinpoint anything in time before it went away. My gut tells me it is either the power steering pump or the fan clutch. I will probably never know unless something fails.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:08 PM

yep thats the noise, and you are right about how long its lasts to. When its a 0 it will last for 2-3 seconds, when it is about 10-15 only about .5-1 second. I don't think that it is the powering steering, I know that noise form my last truck.

But the more and more I ask people and the more and more say that it is the fan clutch.....which it could be I guess?

Old 01-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Mine makes a similar noise when it's cold. It sounds like the starter stays engages for like an extra second. However, like it was said above, does not make the noise when the block heater is plugged in. A mystery noise indeed.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Exclamation Noise

Originally Posted by defective
I know this noise, it's like a "errrrrrrrrrrrerrrerrrrrrerrrrrrer" for a few seconds. The colder it is the longer it lasts. I've popped the hood before while it was doing it, but it was so loud I couldn't pinpoint anything in time before it went away. My gut tells me it is either the power steering pump or the fan clutch. I will probably never know unless something fails.
It was - 27 C this morning and I had the longest duration of this noise I've ever had. Usually it's just like a "Ruuuuuuuuuup" and it's gone. Never does it again. This morning it was like "Rrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr". It sounds like it's coming from the steering column and is quite loud.

Quick Reply: cold starting noises