Electric Fan Once Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Fan Once Again

I am shopping around for a e fan or dual e fans for my truck... i really am not looking to spend alot. i want to go the cheapest route i can. any suggestions on what to go with? also, if i go with dual efans is it necessary for both of them to be pullers?

Old 01-15-2007, 04:49 PM
ford taurus 2 speed fan $25-$50 used
autozone thermostat controller $17 x2
200 amp continuous duty relay $16 for high speed
40 amp gm fuel pump relay and harness $5-$10 used from junkyard
wire and connectors $10-$15
connect low amp relay and 1 controller to low speed
connect high amp relay and 1 controller to high speed and tee off a/c power wire to overide controller when you turn a/c on

Old 01-15-2007, 07:02 PM
why would you go with one puller and one pusher you would have to put a fan on both sides of the radiator unless you dont have the room to put them next to eash other.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by 5point4150
why would you go with one puller and one pusher you would have to put a fan on both sides of the radiator unless you dont have the room to put them next to eash other.
i've seen kits with two fans that mount on the engine side of the radiator. the blades are facing opposite ways one blowing and one sucking.

Last edited by iziris; 01-15-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by s1037s
ford taurus 2 speed fan $25-$50 used
autozone thermostat controller $17 x2
200 amp continuous duty relay $16 for high speed
40 amp gm fuel pump relay and harness $5-$10 used from junkyard
wire and connectors $10-$15
connect low amp relay and 1 controller to low speed
connect high amp relay and 1 controller to high speed and tee off a/c power wire to overide controller when you turn a/c on

That sounds like a good setup to me, but what are the relays switching? Is the high amp one switching the fan, or what? I'm also confused as to why you need a second controller, the controller's just a thermostat with adjustment and a relay isn't it?

The idea of a pusher fan behind the radiator, next to the engine doesn't make sense to me, it MIGHT if it were static (although I still think the air is best flowing the one way) but it'd actually be fighting natural airflow.

The idea is, at highway speeds etc, natural airflow takes the place of the fans - they switch off. For a fan to switch on, then push air FORWARD, for the other fan to potentially suck in, makes no sense to me.

I suspect 95% of this efan business is like "Monster cables" and all that audiophile gimmickery which is at best, pseudo-science, and at worst, just about fraud, IMHO.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I went with two 16" DERALE electric fans used as pullers. They are wired to two 40 AMP relays and operated by two manual switches. Cost of fans 7 years ago new from SUMMIT RACING $200(U.S).

Old 01-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... I went with two 16" DERALE electric fans used as pullers. They are wired to two 40 AMP relays and operated by two manual switches. Cost of fans 7 years ago new from SUMMIT RACING $200(U.S).
Why manual switches vs some sort of thermostat?

Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I've had trouble with just about every electronic thermastat out there. Don't like them. I have a engine coolant temp gauge so when I get around 195 degree's I switch on the fan or fans. I'll be installing AUTOMETER warning lights over the winter with pre-set temps to warn me if the temp is over a certain temp.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=pjb999@yahoo.co]That sounds like a good setup to me, but what are the relays switching? Is the high amp one switching the fan, or what? I'm also confused as to why you need a second controller, the controller's just a thermostat with adjustment and a relay isn't it?[QUOTE]
The high amp relay is used to power the high speed fan circuit, very high initial startup amp draw, also used because it is continuous duty which allows longer life in this case. the controllers are used to activate the relays. you use a low amp load circuit to control a high amp load circuit, same as a starter solenoid. protects from overheating wires. I know i should put in a diode but have not yet. the controller has instructions showing it CAN run a fan, i just would never put a 40 amp fan circuit running on the 18 gauge wire they send in the kit. You can also use 2 taurus fans on a f150 radiator with a little trimming.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
One controller to each fan. Typically one fan is set to come on around 185* and the other @ 195* or anytime the AC is engaged. 'High temp' controller refers to the one that is set for the higher temp before tripping on.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 AM
Thanks - I don't see the benefit of the two controllers, really.

Ok two fans have benefits, one, if one fails other works, two, one fan can come on for the a/c - but for ordinary cooling, I don't see why one controller wouldn't be fine, bringing both fans on.

Ok slightly higher current draw, the two fans, but it just means, it'll cool the rad faster so they can switch off sooner. I would think the system would benefit from a uniform draw of air through the radiator as opposed to a hot side and a cold side, when only one fan's working...

But that's just me of course....I love gadgets and don't mind at all making something more intricate than it *has* to be if it looks neater or works better or just shows off how clever you are, but I think there IS something to be said for the KISS principle.

That being said, I'm still running on the factory belt/clutch fan, so I'm not yet a man of action...although I'll certainly know a few options when I set mine up!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pjb999@yahoo.co
Thanks - I don't see the benefit of the two controllers, really.

Ok two fans have benefits, one, if one fails other works, two, one fan can come on for the a/c - but for ordinary cooling, I don't see why one controller wouldn't be fine, bringing both fans on.

Ok slightly higher current draw, the two fans, but it just means, it'll cool the rad faster so they can switch off sooner. I would think the system would benefit from a uniform draw of air through the radiator as opposed to a hot side and a cold side, when only one fan's working...

But that's just me of course....I love gadgets and don't mind at all making something more intricate than it *has* to be if it looks neater or works better or just shows off how clever you are, but I think there IS something to be said for the KISS principle.

That being said, I'm still running on the factory belt/clutch fan, so I'm not yet a man of action...although I'll certainly know a few options when I set mine up!
One relay and controller for each fan keeps them independent of each other, and the amperage draw for each is high enough that seperate relays should be used.
Two turn on temps make sense to me.
Pulling air through the radiator is my choice, otherwise where would it exhaust to?

I am putting both eggs in one basket and rewiring with a new fuse block and this ontroller:http://www.spal-usa.com/

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Well the fans I'm running can draw over 30A at startup and 19A continuous! That's a lot of juice to run through a single circut IMO.

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Once Again